Loading unloading flatbeds dangers, tips, tricks and procedures

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by the gambler, Dec 8, 2011.

1. spellman

spellman Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Spring Lake, NC
    Did you drive with that loaded that way, or was the top shifted like that due to the unloading?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ou fan

ou fan Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2012
    try again,stalkers
    and one more thing,never ever under any cicumstance climb on a load of round bale hay to measure the height,use the tractor or a ladder.I was walking on top to measure height and 1 roll moved a little and knocked me off load and i fell 14ft to ground and landed on my feet and broke both bones in my lower leg above ankle and have been outta work for 4 months waiting to go back to work. So dont ever let your gaurd down thinking you wont get hurt, its not how bad its when.So be careful.

Travelinman Thanks this.
  4. ou fan

ou fan Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2012
    try again,stalkers
    and one more thing,never ever under any cicumstance climb on a load of round bale hay to measure the height,use the tractor or a ladder.I was walking on top to measure height and 1 roll moved a little and knocked me off load and i fell 14ft to ground and landed on my feet and broke both bones in my lower leg above ankle and have been outta work for 4 months waiting to go back to work. So dont ever let your gaurd down thinking you wont get hurt, its not how bad its when.So be careful.:biggrin_25510:

5. foresaken

foresaken Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2011
    springfield, mo
    Not sure but it don't look right! Never hauled coils that narrow.:biggrin_25514:

6. foresaken

Oct 19, 2011
    springfield, mo
    I feel these situations will get worse due to insurance covering the customer. I had one customer that would not allow me to use their bathroom because of the risk of me falling or getting hurt, really?:biggrin_25510:

7. foresaken

Oct 19, 2011
    springfield, mo
    dropped my empty trailer then hooked to my loaded trailer. All of my dunage is on the trailer i dropped so I pull up in front of it once I have strapped down. Have 3 tarps to transfer to loaded trailer.

So I climb up on the empty and grab a rolled tarp and walk to the front. My intention was to simly toss it onto the loaded trailer about 3 feet away. Wrong! When it went so did I. I tried to go with it but there was nowhere for me to get a foot hold. Panic, I miss the target and land on the ground on my left side.:biggrin_25514: I wait for the pain of a broken bone but, it did not come. I was lucky this time. I got up, dusted off and finished the transfer. Could havebeen really. really bad

Travelinman Thanks this.
  8. Everettd

Everettd Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Find some good, hightop boots for loading/unloading. Time taken before getting to work will save those ankles... one of mine is bad. Got some good leftover lace up army boots (Cocrans, I think) that support in normal weather; some serious Danner hunting/outdoor boots with insulation for winter. When I'm wearing them, no tipping into holes; no sprains. With Tennies, etc., the slightest off-kilter puts me down again.

9. Milktanker

Milktanker Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Frenchtown, mt
    Good thread! I am switching to the flatbed division from vans in January so I've been researching everything I can these past couple weeks.

10. Flatbedn

Flatbedn Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Missouri
    It is not so bad. Don't feel like you got to rush anything. Safety is my priority even if it makes me look like a newbie. I am not breaking bones or losing loads to being in a hurry. Everyone be safe on those ice covered decks this time of year.

11. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Might be a good idea to have y'all a bone density test. If ya have osteoporosis get a step deck and leave the tarps at home!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.