Long Haul Companies and CB Radios

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by pdizzle, Dec 11, 2011.

1. itsneversafe

itsneversafe Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Victoria BC
    Yeah we haul in and out of Penn west in the area. Also up to cromer for enbridge
    It's not so bad I personally dislike the area around the willmer and steelman worse, terrible roads and too many weight restrictions

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nate980

nate980 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Langley BC
    I thought the roads were terrible in waskada. So muddy if you didn't drive in the center the truck was sliding for the ditch. I got stuck out there for a night once and I just about went crazy.

4. JoeBlow

JoeBlow Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2009
    canada
    I work in the south west region of manitoba and use get use out of it daily. Always oversized loads being hauled on the #2 and they always give a heads up. It also saved my ### one night when there was a car flying down the trans canada the wrong direction towards me and i heard chatter about it on the cb.

5. ragtopjr

ragtopjr Light Load Member

May 14, 2008
    Saskatoon,Sk,Can
    I guess you can be part of the problem, or part of the solution!

The Op asked whether he should buy himself one, your idea was to not bother since in your opinion "nobody uses them anyway" Try running a few more places and you would see a lot more use of the CB.

Like so many others I have been warned about situations which allowed me to be prepared for extremely danger situations.

The one in particular had me slowed down to just about nothing at MM 916 just before White River, On where there was perfect roads/skating rink with that much transition time...

Since we had been slowed down we were able to get stopped without any issue...The next truck over the rise did it in fine style, and proved that he was a true Truck Driver and threaded the needle just barely missing a bunch of kids in a van that had just hit the ditch in the opposite lane, by dragging his trailer down the left hand shoulder to find something to stop him.

While doing this he had flown past 500 vehicles stopped on the right lane, including myself before we had had a chance to get back to the crest of the hill to warn traffic...

The worst part was that there was a bison truck that was pulled over on a hill just before that had been radioing people heading east telling them of the hazard, that had also warned us as we went past him which made us slow down...

There were 3 trucks in total that had to do some amazing driving to avoid what could have been a deadly crash that could have all been avoided by the use of a Cb...

As that first truck crested the hill I though I was about to see somebody die that day....

We had heard our first report of that situation about 10 miles away from the scene from others that had gotten through before the westbound had spun out near the hill closing off the road....

I agree that there are definitely some idiots that have littered the airwaves with their trash talk and crap over the radio, but its still a very important safety tool that can save lives out there!

Be a part of the solution not a part of the problem...

Just my opinion

6. JRP

JRP Light Load Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Halifax, NS.
    Remember dizz, were channel 1 here in the east, change it when you hit the border in maine, (to 19) and same goes for when you cross the river in Montreal. Dont know why its like that, its always been.
    Its worthwhile to get a good cb, but make sure your coax and antennas are good as well.

7. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island
    There are a couple of reasons for this ( so I'm told ). 1st, back in the day, when CB's went from 4 channels to 40 channels, Maritimers, and they're reluctance to immediate change, chose to stay on channel 1 to 'see how 'tings worked out wit' all 'dem 'udder channels'. Now 2nd, and a bit more believable, is that channel 19 in the North East part of North America, IE Atlantic Canada, picks up TONS of skip from the US North East and Mid-West. Not just CB skip, but Long Band, Short Band, Side Band, Upside down band etc etc. Channel 1 simply has less skip.

As personal proof of this, here's a true story: And if ya'll don't beleive it, I could care less.

One very frosty, cold, clear Februrary morning some 15 or 20 years ago, I was running towards Cape Breton on the TCH and was going over Mount Thom in Pictou County, NS. I need say no more to those familiar with 'the OLD TCH, not the twinned hiway, over Mt Thom'. Anyway, the CB was quiet when all of a sudden comes this voice over the CB, on ch 1, from ch 19, from Sayerville NJ loooking for 'local' into the Hercules Chemical Plant in Parlin, NJ. Well I used to haul wood alcohol out of there all the time and knew the area pretty well, so I thought I'd take a stab at talking to this driver in NJ, from NS, on the CB, over the skip. Know what ? It worked like a charm. I couldn't believe it. We could hear each other plain as day. I walked the guy right to the plant gate. It's never happpened before, or since. I had two Energy Transport trucks hauling propane right behind me that heard the whole thing themselves.

SL

8. JRP

JRP Light Load Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Halifax, NS.
    I believe it.
    I had a jacked up connex and 250w kicker back in the day, and that thing would catch skip anywhere here in the maritimes that it was flat.
    Up near truro, as well as on the marsh near the nb border.

9. EHB

EHB Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Newfoundland
    No. Bring your own CB radio and your own Magnetic mount Antenna just in case the one in the truck does not work. Bring a SWR meter just in case you CB does not have on built in to it. Some semi have the AM/FM/CB combo and is usually junk. If the SWR is to high, you will blow your CB radio.

AND KEEP YOUR DOORS LOCKED AT ALL TIMES, EVEN IF YOU LEAVE YOUR TRUCK EVEN FOR A MINUTE.

10. defencerulez

defencerulez Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2010
    In between the LAKES!
    In Ontario on the 4XX highways, whenever there's snow on the ground, or any crashes, channel 19 on CB will be busy! Too many ###### 4 wheelers and even truckers that's not road worthy. Yea, and then lots of ppl talking trash in traffic jam which is normal...

Tow trucks camping on the highway are always on CB cuz they get the latest info regarding where to go, I also suspect sometimes cops spy on CB channel 19 as well....

But on a nice weather day/night no snow no rain, it's dead silent... Yea, I only turn on the CB when there's bad weather...

11. cariboo_kid

cariboo_kid Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Sask, Canada
    You only turn it on when there's bad weather, and you are surprised it's dead silent during good weather? :biggrin_25523:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.