Methods to keep awake + alert

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by I95runner, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    for day cabs: pull over at an off ramp and take a power nap on the steering wheel for 10 minutes. Wake up and have a cigarette. You would be fine until you get to the yard.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    why do people automatically always assume the worst towards swifties?
    Im a swiftie and im considerate to other drivers, when i bobtail to a truck stop I even find the hardest spot instead of taking an easy one for a tired driver to come get or I get in a spot where the driver backed in way too far and there just isnt enough space for a truck to get in behind him. I also do not make my own spots like some arseholes do that tend to be non swifties....then block people in. I see more inconsiderate drivers from other companies all the time....

Dinomite Thanks this.
  4. Mev

Mev Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop and walk around for a little bit.
    The body is settling into sleep mode the longer you sit.
    Just get the blood back flowing and it signals your brain to reset.
    I discovered this by accident.
    Its good for a few hours.

5. mattbnr

mattbnr Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Tama,Iowa
    Stop and take a 20 min power nap. Works every time. Get good rest. Drink water not soda or stuff with caffeine because they make you more tired. Eat cucumbers or bananas or a apple. Chew gum. Sunflower seeds work too.

6. yuban

yuban Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Between 2 Doors
    I never ever get tired. Because the FMSCA has it all figured out how I should drive.

7. dogchimp

dogchimp Medium Load Member

Jan 31, 2013
    if that dosent work, hook your jumper cables up to the battery, then apply directly to nipples, that'll give you a jolt...after all our dispatchers think were robots

FloTheWaitress Thanks this.
  8. Cbake84

Cbake84 Light Load Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Missoula, Mt
    getting that blood flowing does help a lot, running a flat you gotta get out and get your blood flowing every couple hours for a l/c. I like to run split sleeper so i can pull over and take a 2 hour nap, that also takes care of that stupid 30 minute break

9. browndawg

browndawg Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Rock Island, IL
    yeah if you are taking the 1/2 hr break according to the man you should not be tired
    I like swift drivers I can not remember the last time a swift driver pissed me off any swifties I have run into have been good drivers

10. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    If I speed up about 5mph it makes me more alert for the last part of trip,after getting used to driving the same speed for hours the change in speed will bring me back from being tired.

11. dogchimp

dogchimp Medium Load Member

Jan 31, 2013
    we all make fun of the mega fleets, they have so many drivers there is bound to be an idiot or two, and we all make stupid mistakes that piss other drivers off, but at the end of the day I would help out another prime, swift, England, small carrier, or o/o if they needed it

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.