Need directions help

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by nickto21, Nov 11, 2019.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

EVERY company I ever worked for reimbursed tolls 100%. PA roads suck and the TP is probably in better shape than non-TP roads so I don't worry about the cost. If you are early would you really rather spend MORE time driving than resting or sleeping? I wouldn't. I look for the shortest and the fastest routes and only sometime pick longer/slower routes to avoid big city traffic.

PE_T, sealevel and homeskillet Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    I run Carlisle to Akron almost weekly. Assuming most of my running costs are in fuel and maintenance, yeah it's a no brainier. Even from the south it beats I 68 when you figure fuel burn and wear and tear.

PE_T Thanks this.
  4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

If the company reimburses you fully, then absolutely take the toll roads if they are your best route. Those of us who do not get reimbursements are in a different position. For us, it’s usually cheaper to avoid the toll roads. This, however, means more drive time, lower MPG, and even more truck wear, which is relevant to those planning on keeping the truck as long as possible.

5. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

With E-ZPass, it will cost $117 from Carlisle to OH stateline. 293 miles, 4:43 hrs. Terrain on I-76 in PA is not good. About the same compared to free route.

The free route I would consider would be:

I-81 N, US-22/322, I-99, I-80,...
    336 miles
    5:15 hrs (32 minutes more)
    All miles freeway, except 18 miles.
    I have taken this route a few times. It’s a good route. Don’t tell anyone. Hahaha.
    The lower MPGs, if any, will not cost $117, nor will the truck wear. Both routes are about the same, with perhaps I-76 having a slight edge.

The other route through I-68 would take 6 hrs. I would not recommend that one. Plus, the terrain is terrible.

Attached Files:

sealevel Thanks this.
  6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    It always chapped me to no end to have to pay a toll, s I avoided them any time I could at all.

PE_T Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.