Need help checking a drivers log book!

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by GLL, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
    If you are pre-2000, you are exempt from ELD, at least for now.

If I stop you with Keeptrucking I will request you email (or fax) me your 8 day logs for inspection. There is no need to transcribe anything to paperlogs. Keeptrucking is acceptable. Non-ELD electronic formats are held to the same rules as paper logs.

brian991219 and nax Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Scalemaster- if you stop me, can I hit you in the belly with my logbook/manifest binder like Kris Kristofferson did to Ernest Borgnine?

4. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    My concern is not being able to connect to the "cloud" or not be able to present last 8 days "on-demand" due to some glitch at the time of inspection.

Can you let me proceed with a "email them to me later?"

5. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    @Scalemaster we are in agreement, although sadly not all your brothers agree with the regulations as written. I have been placed OOS in San Jon, NM for 10, when the CVSA criteria does say 8 for a form and manner violation. I signed the log page at the beginning of the day, he wrote it as form and manner. Then again the same officer also stacked lighting violations in the past and also placed me OOS at one time for no previous 7 days when I had been operating under short haul until that day.

This is why when I give advice I try to have the driver be as technically correct as possible, to make their pages look just like the training examples so that less is left up to roadside interpretation and officer discretion. Please do no read any disrespect into this statement, you are a stand up guy and know your job very well, unfortunately not all MCE folks are as dedicated to professionalism. As you highlighted in my first reply, I stated although not illegal it is not recommended. It also makes back office recordkeeping easier when multiday pages are split by month.

6. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
    No, you cannot email them later. If you have connectivity issues, you might want to get a printer so you can print them out and carry them with you.

When I stop you, if you cannot present your 8 day logs by email or fax, then you have to print them. 395.8 paper log rules apply.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  7. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    @Scalemaster

I have 2 questions that I can never get a straight answer to:

1. Do I have to go into the scale house if I'[m bobtailing?
    2. What's the max distance I can travel on Personal Conveyance? What if Im on PC for 200-300 miles headed home i.e Drop trailer and decide to head-on back home, over 300 miles away?

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    1. There is no strait answer as every state is diffrent. But for the most part yes. Unless otherwise stated it's all commercial trucks. Some are all vehicles over a specific weight.

Here is a list.
    http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/weigh-stations/

2. There are few regulations (unladen and oos) and only two guidances for pc, which is why it's confusing.
    1. To/from resturant and lodging.
    2. To/from home and terminal.​
    Note it says terminal. Just droping it at a customer and pc 1 mile you are in violation if the officer wants to.

9. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    But what if I have no "terminal". I have my own authority and Im running a 2-3 day gig, and when done, I head home, AS IN from wherever that trip ended to straight home (300 miles away)?

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    That's the point. Thete are no regs on the book allowing you to pc that drive. You are at the controls of a cmv. By definition that is on duty driving. Will some officers overlook it if you claim pc? Sure, but they don't have to.

11. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Hmmmm...

AFAIK, PC guidelines are:
    1. Not under dispatch
    2. Not under load
    3. Headed home/hotel
    4. Distance not clarified
    I cannot find any "technicality" for an officer to hang on

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.