New driver here - flatbed question

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Nate Da Great, Oct 28, 2021.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Nowadays drivers are getting brand new trucks fresh out of cdl school. Fridge, microwave,tv's auto tranny, huge sleepers. All the gadgets and gizmos, dont barely have to think about anything related to driving, and still say the job is to hard! My generation is a special one for sure...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    It's not just your generation...

cke, shooter19802003, Kyle G. and 3 others Thank this.
  4. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    Pretty much every one since the Boomers. But there is a difference with the millennials. Previously, most everyone eventually reached a point in life when nobody was willing to put up with their crying bs anymore. Society forced them to grow up out of necessity. That doesn't seem to be happening with millennials, at least not the majority.

Now, this is all speculation and conjecture, based on what I hear from my step son. Thankfully, even though he's a millennial, he somehow turned out to be mostly balanced, has a family and kids, and is working now to build his own logistics business.

Tug Toy, cke, beastr123 and 4 others Thank this.
  5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    No you are exactly right. It is the people who raised this new generation with the mindset that everyone wins in life no matter what...even if u become a bum doing drugs you are still a winner. It has contributed to the current mindset of society and cancel culture. If you say something that offends somebody you are now cancelled from society.. Seems like older folks know how to joke around and can dish just as much as take it. And if something really offended them and cross the line then they would kick their ### .

My generation just goes to cry to mommy because someone hurt their feelings. I have grown such a great appreciation for my parents raising me with tough love and teaching me how to make it in this world. There is still some people my age that arent afraid to work and build a life the right way, rather then complaining everytime we get knocked down and beat up. I just wonder what the world is going to be like in 30 years when all the millenials are now the old timers ! Man thats gonna be a strange society.

Tug Toy, Speed_Drums, cke and 5 others Thank this.
  6. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I agree with you 100%... maybe the reason your Step son turned out like he did is because you are a role model for him

Tug Toy, Speed_Drums, cke and 4 others Thank this.
  7. shooter19802003

shooter19802003 Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    Speaking of big sleepers and all the bells/whistles.....
    I don't get the big sleeper thing. If you spend alot of time in there because of a specialized field.....great. however for everyone else, why. My 60" is more than I need. I remember the crawl through coffin sleepers and I'm not suggesting going back to that. However, why do you need a 82 or so sleeper? All I need is a place to stand to put on my clothes and that's it. The rest of the time I'm either driving or sleeping. Don't need 80+" condo to goto bed.

Speed_Drums, cke, beastr123 and 4 others Thank this.
  8. PoleCrusher

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    If you're steady running then a 60 or 70" is fine. We usually end up spending some time in between loads, cause we're not out here just to turn wheels. We will wait for $$$ to pop or sometimes we have prebooked one that doesn't pickup for a couple days after we're empty.

This 72" sleeper can get real cramped, real quick. I'd like to at least have a 86" studio, but we want a big house.

9. shooter19802003

shooter19802003 Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    Yeah, but you guys are a team. Kinda different. For a single guy, I just don't get it.

cke, Kyle G., beastr123 and 2 others Thank this.
  10. PoleCrusher

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    All depends on the driver and their operation. We have solos here that have big houses, and teams in sleepers smaller than ours. To each their own.

cke, Kyle G., beastr123 and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    i would live to have one for the shower - especially if I have to sit for a while. Ha I guess said that - the added wheelbase would be a killer - my 4 axle pig is already too much

Tug Toy, cke, Kyle G. and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.