New owner operator

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Cowboi, Jun 10, 2018.

1. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    I've been quoted from Progressive in FL, MD and PA over the past 1.5 years. The only thing they've changed around was the payment terms. Most of the time they wanted a deposit and the rest paid monthly. The last time though, they tried to make me pay half up front with the second half due in 30 days. I used a better agent and got it back to a monthly payment plan as well as a slightly lower yearly premium.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Dude, my advice comes from being a fleet owner for the past 10 plus years and driving truck one time or another over 45 years.

The frustration I have is seeing an increase in failures in the past 12 months. YOU may not see it, but it is there and it seems that when rates go up, credit is easy to get, there are more failures because a lack of business or industry knowledge.

I get what you say but others may not get who is responsible and who isn't or what to watch out for and what not to.

Just look at some of the naive questions coming from people who have been doing this for 2, 3 or 5 years, they don't even understand what an authority is or who is responsible for what.

If people don't want the advice, then they don't need to read it. If it works for you and it goes against what I say, that's alright but those who don't know or are confused, maybe they should read everything and ask questions.

djohnson6425 Thanks this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Don't question his expertise. He has been leased onto other companies for many years and has told new O/O's they can start a company with only a couple thousand dollars and how easy it is. Who are we to question his obviously superior know-how?

5. jodyj54

jodyj54 Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2018
    Maybe OOIDA is thinking that old authority constitutes safer drivers/better equipment? Its the same merry-go-round with trying to broker loads with new authority as an independent. Example; Swift has old authority, their driver 6 months experience. You-new authority, your experience OTR is 30 years. Guess who gets the load?

SteveScott Thanks this.
  6. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    SWIFT because they will do it for a dollar a mile.

SteveScott Thanks this.
  7. djohnson6425

djohnson6425 Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2017
    Chicago, IL
    I must say, I agree with what you are saying here. Things are definitively different today than they were 10-15 years ago.. seems like entire industry is one big trap these days.. from huge truck prices, high cost of insurance, not to mention maintenance costs on the road.. yes there is a lot of misinformation being thrown around these days to get people into truck ownership... authority does not mean you have an authority like your wife has an authority in your household (for example).. it just means you are stuck doing everything on your own and it will cost you more than you would pay some company to do everything for you while you lease your truck to them.. :)

8. Ucrystal

Ucrystal Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2018
    How do you figure what to set a rate at?

9. larry2903

larry2903 Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2009
    On the trails
    By knowing the lanes you’re bidding for, and seasonal swings in those lanes.

Ucrystal Thanks this.
  10. sangtito

sangtito Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2018
    Hi, so you’re saying that once I bought a tractor and being an independent contractor I will sign a contract with a company? And do it with an experienced trucking company but not with huge trucking corporation, correct?

11. Mark Falcone

Mark Falcone Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Bronx, NY
    Yea the big reefer company in Springfield, Mo would be first in line. You have a better chance at seeing a chinese girl with big titties before seeing a rate confirmation sheet over there...lol!!!!!

djohnson6425, RedRover and fordconvert Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.