Night driving...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Tenno89, Jun 6, 2011.

1. MustangMark83

MustangMark83 Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Winter Haven, FL
    You can only drive when the sun is up? Might need to look into a 9-5 office job

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I would also agree that trucking may be the wrong line of work for you. You have two choices here. Either learn how to drive at night or find another career. I always drove when I was legal to do so. How can you trip plan your load if you're only driving by daylight?

4. jatwell

jatwell Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Mansfield, Ohio
    well only option i got for you is that you could go to prime inc and lease a truck and run whenever you'd like.. as long as your making your lease payment and being profitable.. im not saying the time may come when you gotta do something at night.. but as far as setting your own schedule if your driving for them and got your own truck there wont be any problem with starting at 7:30am.

5. Tenno89

Tenno89 Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Old Hickory, TN
    No...not driving only during daylight....i just cant drive late late at nyt...like 230am....or wat happend b4 wil hapen again....i try my best to be off th' road by 9pm....so i can start by 7...

6. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

7. AZS

AZS Honk if anything falls off

Sep 30, 2010
    PHX, AZ
    Ask all the fools who pack the truck stop by 5 pm the same question

8. Bazerk Wizz Bang!

Bazerk Wizz Bang! Medium Load Member

LOL! a prime recruiter just popped out of the woodshed. Thats the main reason I leave all my guns locked up at home, just toooo tempting some times.

Second thing I will say is any "trainer" who forces there student to drive nights is a stupid worthless wussie (wussie is incorrect, but the correct descriptive words would get me banned) to the absulte extreme. But i dont believe any dim witted, steering wheel holder ets.. ets... that works for swift and a few other companys is worthy of being called a trainer. So that kind of behavior, as well as ignorence, a strong desire to recruite (the only way any swift driver can make any money). ets... ets... That person in the truck was not a trainer guy!

You were with swift! Talk about lack of any kind of research being extremely self evident. (I am guessing recruiter told you all you wanted to hear, and you jumped in. probley hot sounding but nasty looking chick on the internet or over the phone)

Do more reasearch there is lots better things out there, just got to look for yourself, you will not find it in the forum. I am a complete noob, by most standards. I quite CRE which is exact same as Swift with a few nasty twist swift aint got thrown if fer fun. I am now Driving OTR non hazmat, 48 states, I take in after taxes between $900.00 to $1400.00 per week, solo, running hundred percent legal although I can tweek my books if I want, but dont need to so I dont. Where I work now isnt here at all, couldnt even find any info about them on the internet. Just two local random pointless newspaper articles from years ago. hours searching the internet and that was all I could find about them, just crazy hardcore flying under the radar. Just under a rock i turned over, they dont advertise, recruite, or offer any recruiteing bonuses. Drivers dont quit, they eather retire or get fired. I was way under qualified for the job, but wanted it bad. Showed up a few times to talk with a couple different people, My screwed up, severely deranged personality impressed them, scared the hell out of them, possibly even leaving them in fear for there and there familys lives??? not sure but for some bizzaro and completely suprizing reason they gave me a chance, threw my screwed up butt, in one bad ace rig sent me down the road. Do your reasearch this time!!! Look for little nitches nobody really knows about, rocks only a few people know about but are keeping it to themselves, even if you are way underqualified for a position still go for the position. Throw yourself all into it, heart and sole they may see you as a good investment for the future even though you are way greener than they like to hire. What you want is out there its just hard to find, and punching a few keys and asking others to find it for you will give you no good results. You have to do your homework yourself to get the results you want, and they are out there depite what most will tell you.

OP something to take into consideration is this is summer. summer is the hardest time of year to run graveyard. long hot days hard to sleep, then short nights which seem longer than they really are and hence tire you out faster. Winter is best time to learn how to drive, graveyard is lots easier then as well.

I worked in factory for 2 years before about a third of the work force got replaced by million dollar machines and I went into trucking. Worked 18:00 to 06:30 Mon. threw fri. The work was brutal the people who worked there were reall men, not the trucker sissy things you see posting around here. Seen quite a few reall reall hard dudes crack under the hours they were working. When you are awake days your whole life and the first time in your life you try to force yourself to go nocturnal, the sheets a real beach bud! For everyone, not just you the first time and for quite a while when you go graveyard it will push you mentally extremely hard. When driving there will be times when you just cant punch threw it and have to shut it down prematurely. Set your alarm for nine hours and punch threw a lesser amount. Do what you can taking small steps as fast as you can to force yourself to get used to it.

Reverend Blair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.