Noisy reefers

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Lonewolf2000, Mar 13, 2019.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I may end up upgrading my reefer to be able to use this Shore Power I see at a lot of Pilot/FJ’s. Sometimes I am sitting with a reefer load on 34hr break. Who knows how much they charge.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Careful. There is 'Shore Power' that is a brand of power connection for tractors, and there is shore power that is simply power from the standard land power grid.

KB3MMX and PE_T Thank this.
  4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I wonder if ShorePower brand can be used on reefers with an electric plug. I’ve also noticed that nobody seems to be using them.

Edit—

I checked out ShorePower’s website, and it does seem possible.

I ran some quick numbers, and ShorePower at $1 per hour would only make sense on a zero or lower temperature load and requiring continuous mode. Otherwise, cycle sentry or a higher temp may either cost the same or lower than $24 a day. Older reefers may benefit from this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Reason for edit: Typo
    Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  5. loose_leafs

loose_leafs Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Old Man River, MN
    Carriers are noisy junk, the new ones are actually worse than the older ones.

Thermo Kings I barely notice them even on start stop.

6. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    I will take a reefer parked next to me any day over a fully loaded pig hauler stinking up a hundred yards in each direction......

Vic Firth, UsualSuspect and Onemanshow Thank this.
  7. ByoDyne

ByoDyne Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2018
    That or a truck with straight pipes idling nonstop.

bzinger and Bumper Thank this.
  8. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    Nothing is noisier than an International doing a regen

Snailexpress, UsualSuspect and Bumper Thank this.
  9. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    I've been driving so long I can't sleep without noise.
    When it's quiet is when I start to worry.

bzinger and Bumper Thank this.
  10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Before they introduced the ELD mandate, they should have mandated the maximum noise levels for reefers and APUs becasue they don't promote safety at all when you have to "rest" surrounded by all that noise and fumes.
    Some may say that you can get used to it or if not then get out of truckin but whether you like it or not, the sleep and rest quality is affected by it and then fatigue level and in the long run overall health. Spending over 10 hours a day in this environment will take its toll.
    New Thermokings are quiet, their buzz is not so bothersome but Carries - GTFO! I mean this day and age they should come up with something better but they could not care less both on their reefer units and APUs

OldSureHand Thanks this.
  11. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Today’s youth truck drivers= Spoon fed babies. Real truckers turning in their graves. Go back to the pre 90’s era and sleep next to a Detroit at high idle or cat 3408 and a reefer.
    I slept underneath flight deck directly under 3rd arresting cable during 24/7 flight ops. Use hearing protection.
    My advise to straight pipe complainers and reefer complainers. Get a new profession

KB3MMX, Big_D409, mustang190 and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.