notice before shift

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by trucks1264, Feb 3, 2017.

1. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Nope.

Although the op is sparse on details I suspect that it was his decision to stay up all day, not the company's. He didn't say anything about "remain ready to work at a moments notice." He said he had three hours notice. He said he was told at 7 AM that he was on-call. He was called at 4 PM to leave at 7 PM. If it were me I would have rested between 7 AM to 4 PM and again between 4 PM to 7 PM if necessary.

I worked many years "on-call" in the oil patch and if a driver did what the OP did they wouldn't be a driver for long. When I did it we didn't even have logs or hours of service so there was no regulatory protection... if you didn't rest you were a hazard, fired or dead.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    Blackshack46 and WiggleWagon Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WiggleWagon

WiggleWagon Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Parked At The Fuel Island
    Well we agree to disagree. I refused when faced with that decision and just as you said about the OP, I did not last long at the company.

I (wrongly) assumed that when I was put on call for my normal shift, if I was not called in at some point during that shift, then I would get dispatched my for my next normal shift. Not for just a few hours later. But I will be the first to admit, that is not how trucking works. If you have hours, you go when they say, because you have hours. Tired? so what, you have hours, the computer says so.

not4hire Thanks this.
  4. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Not too dissimilar to running reefer. I know the appointment to load said 3 PM, but it almost never works out that way. So... I went to sleep.

And to borrow from @TripleSix... ;)

"But not4hire, what if they say to monitor your CB for when a door is available?"

"Well, Mr. Loader, I don't have a CB, but here's my phone number. Call me when the door is open." ZZZZzzzzz...
    Yes, I had a CB. Yes, it worked just fine. Yes, I turned it off and went to bed.

Blackshack46 and TripleSix Thank this.
  5. truckersjustice

truckersjustice Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Burnsville, MN
    The STAA, 49 USC Sec. 31105 protects a driver from retaliation for refusing to operate a cmv in violation of any commercial vehicle safety law or regulation. 49 CFR 392.3 prohibits operating a commercial vehicle where driving would be unsafe or likely to become unsafe due to illness, fatigue or some other cause. If you are so fatigued or likely to become so fatigued that driving will become unsafe during your run, due to being kept in an on call or delayed status, inform the employer that you refuse to violate 49 CFR 392.3 and that driving will become unsafe due to the delay. You will be up x hours as you near completion of your shift. Google Stauffer v. Wal-Mart Stores or Johnson v. Roadway and you will see how this law works.

Paul Taylor
    Truckers Justice Center
    www.truckersjusticecenter.com

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. Aradrox

Aradrox Heavy Load Member

Jan 21, 2016
    The regulations protect you... It is illegal for your to operate a CMV while ill or fatigued.... Tell them you had been waiting all day for a load and have been Awake tell them you cannot and will not violate FMCSA regulation s or put the motoring public at risk and to NOT ask you to do so again as they will then be violating the coercion regulation of asking you to operate a CMV illegally and in an unsafe manner.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    On call means resting constantly until that phone rings. It's the same as resting and waiting inside your sleeper waiting for the load to finish loading and you have thousand miles to go by morning.

On call and waiting at a moment's notice to go work is the worst of all situations in my humble opinion.

Find another company that does not practice this draconian practice.

Just passing by and fargonaz Thank this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    IMO, "on-call" also means logging on line 4. By law one certainly can't log on line 1 for waiting to get loaded or unloaded. One must also log line 1 for 30 minutes after 8 hours, and that means being free to pursue anything NOT related to that truck for the entirety of that time.

In the OP's case, potential fatigue issues notwithstanding, he was "on-call" for 9 hours only to be told to start an all-night run at his 12th hour.

I have a problem with that.

x1Heavy and Just passing by Thank this.
  9. truckersjustice

Sep 1, 2011
    Burnsville, MN
    I have a problem with that also, but the FMCSA has an interpretative ruling which seems to say, on call having to be available for a call is off duty:

Question 5: Do telephone calls to or from the motor carrier that momentarily interrupt a driver’s rest period constitute a change of the driver’s duty status?

Guidance: Telephone calls of this type do not prevent the driver from obtaining adequate rest. Therefore, the FHWA does not consider these brief telephone calls to be a break in the driver’s off duty status.​

10. truckersjustice

Sep 1, 2011
    Burnsville, MN
    Here is another regulatory guidance from FMCSA:

Question 6: If a driver is required by a motor carrier to carry a pager/beeper to receive notification to contact the motor carrier for a duty assignment, how should this time be recorded?

Guidance: The time is to be recorded as off-duty.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.