Off Duty Driving ?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by FLHT, Nov 7, 2017.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Do not be tempted.

Leave the company that supposedly looks the other way. They will burn you down if you did get caught doing it. There is a small thing called personal conveyance and extremely limited.

The truckstop is not a protection against logging. You are in my day in need of a small card in wallet that says you are relieved of all responsibility when legally and safely parked. THEN you are off duty for lunch or whatever.

Times have changed and the new electronic logs will cause the fleet to suffer a slow down and loss of time for everyone. Mileage pay will decline a certain amount until it's discarded for salary pay to retain people.

This isnt the time to be making false logs, when it's time to stop and sleep. It's time to stop and sleep.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    No. Wherever you are out of time is where you stay. What the ternimal might do is send a bobtail out to capture your trailer and then you bobtail off duty on PC. It's not even 10 dollars or so in fuel to send someone to get your trailer.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  4. BQ Truck Driver

BQ Truck Driver Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2017
    If your company allows that much time for PC (mine is set at 60 min/day), then you can do it. As long as you are empty (unladen) and only moving to finish break, 10 or 34, you should be fine. You cannot use PC when loaded or moving to further business (towards next load, shop for repairs, etc)

Cattleman84 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Things have changed since my time.

Do you have a clarification or source of this particular?

It would be nice to have something that shows your new guidelines if possible so I can mentally update this for others who will be asking about PC in future.

Cattleman84 and DustyRoad Thank this.
  6. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    @Cattleman84

Being out of hours may trigger a red flag warning...the FMCSA says you may not drive a CMV after driving 11 hours per shift or being out of hours for the day or weekly cycle. My company safety dept would call it a violation if driving when out of hours. It may be related to drivers being required to rest and fulfill the break required by part 395 of the DOT rules.

7. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    The part of your post I highlighted is false; the only such restriction from FMCSA is if there is an out-of-service order.

Question 26: If a driver is permitted to use a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) for personal reasons, how must the driving time be recorded?

Guidance:

<snipped>

A driver placed out of service for exceeding the requirements of the hours of service regulations may not drive a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) to any location to obtain rest.

Regulations Section

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Mullet_Head87

Mullet_Head87 Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Clearwater
    I'm 40 minutes from a truck stop I have 38 minutes left on my 14 when I get unloaded. I'm hungry and I have to poo and I want a shower. Now Im writing this to kill 4hrs to get my 8 split in so I can head down to accomplish these activities. All because I'm 2 minutes short. The government should not control when I get to poo.

9. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    I'd it just me or does anyone else want to attach a d ring to this guys nose and just tug on it? God he's freaking stupid

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    UsualSuspect, not4hire and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. BQ Truck Driver

Mar 10, 2017
    If company allows PC, this is an ideal situation for it. You are leaving receiver, unloaded, to go finish break at a safe place.

11. BQ Truck Driver

Mar 10, 2017
    I don't have any quotable sources but when I recently took course for becoming a new trainer at Prime, the log dept went over efficient logging (legally), for nearly an afternoon. PC is one of the subjects harped upon. She was clear that you are fine if bobtail or emty as long as you are only in process of continuing break. You cannot use it if going to do anything related to business (towards next load, repairs, wash, fuel, etc). The OP is just going to terminal, empty and unladen to continue 34, should be fine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.