Off Duty Driving ?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by FLHT, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Mullet_Head87

Mullet_Head87 Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Clearwater
    Update:
    I was able to get a shower and releive myself in the commode. I took a nice nap while I waited the 4 remaining hours. I got Chester's chicken and will agressively use the commode in due time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LilBudyWizer

LilBudyWizer Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Really the PC is irrelevant. E-logs automatically put you on driving unless you have PC available. It's the one part you can't falsify. By itself it only buys you, maybe, 5-15 minutes. It can buy you hours in combination with other falsifications, like not being on duty when checking in/out and while being loaded/unloaded. So, really, the thread is about falsifications in general.

Personally drivers are their own worst enemies. You don't have to be paid for on duty time because it's a trivial amount of your time. How can I say that? Look at your logs. Well, you couldn't make your bills if you logged all the time you were suppose to. The shelves in the stores would be empty as well, people would be rioting in the streets. If you don't like f'd up regulations then don't make those regulation work. They only work now due to falsification.

You're just one person so you're going to do what you have to do to survive. There's the reason why though.

4. Scvready

Scvready Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2017
    Louisiana
    I have never had to falsify. I don't like the regulations but they don't only work due to falsifications. The problem with your argument is that you are talking to truckers that know it works. It sux because we'd like a little more freedom, but stop lying to yourself.

5. localDetroitTrucker

localDetroitTrucker Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2018
    Running local I thought ELD won't be a problem. Try running out of hours in a day cab. Off duty driving is my only option Back to the yard . Cant sleep in a day cab, it will not count as off duty plus its not very comfortable . anyways I seen this t shirt on Amazon i thought was funny to share it with you. just make sure the D.O.T doesnt see you wearing it
    outta hours.jpg https://www.amazon.com/funny-trucke...cker+Tees+cdla&s=Clothing&sr=1-48&ref=sr_1_48

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    As someone who naps in a daycab (20 minutes on break or so) not comfortable is a given yes. The comment about off duty is wrong though. You can be off duty in a daycab.

Also, you work more than 14 hours twice a week or more? Working local you likely can use the 16 hour exemption once a week.

localDetroitTrucker Thanks this.
  7. localDetroitTrucker

localDetroitTrucker Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2018
    I Agree with you and I do end up using the exemption halfway through the week. but what I was trying to say is most days I can't do that one extra run at the end of the day because I might be a few minutes out of time and you can't take 10 hour break in your daycab.

8. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Actually, you can. You cannot log sleeper berth, but you can log off duty as many hours as you like (not that you want to).

On-duty time means...

(4) All time in or on a commercial motor vehicle, other than:
    (i) Time spent resting in or on a parked vehicle, except as otherwise provided in §397.5 of this subchapter;
    PART 395—HOURS OF SERVICE OF DRIVERS
    §395.2 Definitions.

Number9 and localDetroitTrucker Thank this.
  9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Legally you can take a 10 on your break. not4hire posted the regs. You are right that it's not practical though.

As for not taking one more run... Good. That's exactly what the eld is meant to prevent. If drivers were not blatantly cheating on their logs for the last 80 years it would not have been needed.

Number9 and localDetroitTrucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.