Otto

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Dave_in_AZ, Apr 8, 2018.

1. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Those self driving trucks might work for a regular route, then someone will still be needed to unload the freight if it is to those convenience stores. All the trucks will be able to do is move from A to B, someone will still be needed, then the poor sucker sitting in that seat has to be ready to regain control when things go bad. Computers do not deal with unknown very well.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I can't think of the name of the movie, it's really weird, but it's about earth in the future where people do nothing but hassle massive beuracrocy, everyone is like 450 pounds, freaked out by anything unusual, because everything is autonomous.

4. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Idiocracy. Hilarious movie.

mhyn, Streetroddreams and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  5. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Space oddesy with hal the computer was one , locked the spaceman out on a space walk fixing something for that computer, There has been many but if it save and makes them big corps. money we will find out how much we really matter.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Here’s why an automated truck is superior to me. Tomorrow’s first stop is in Memphis, swing through a full parking lot and come back through out on the street. Miss parked cars lining both sides and get on the door nearest the curb. Piece of cake for Otto or any others (pemko assa abloy, distribution drive in Memphis)

Stop #2 head down 35 in Batesville, Ms. Motion for any car sitting on Thermos Drive to come on out or stop behind the train tracks so you can make the turn,you stay in their lane over the tracks, then swing into the parking lot, loop back out into the street and hit the dock. Once again, easy peasy for an automated truck. (Thermos Warehouse on Thermos drive batesville, ms)

Stop 3 is easy for an auto truck since it’s a wide open lot, except for that it’s entirely gravel.

Stop 4 head to Indianola, Ms. Go down Hwy 82 almost to the 49/82 intersection, swing into MPAK parking lot. Open doors. Time the five lanes of traffic on Hwy 82 and swing out across the eastbound side, turn lane, and part of the westbound lanes then back onto the door. No problem, Otto probably does it daily, no liability right??? (MPAK indianola ms Hwy 82)

Stop 5 isn’t too bad except it’s only one way in, all other roads are non truck route. And there is one road you turn on getting there where you need traffic to stay back. Otherwise it’s not too bad. Big parking lot if you don’t drop your tandems in the ditch getting there. (SunPine cleaning supplies, Canton Ms).

With one exception all these places were built 30 years ago or better, the perfect situation for a 53 foot trailer. I am looking for new careers as I type this.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    magoo68, JoelP, Shock Therapy and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Well when they started all this nonsense, one of my first comments was every warehouse, and receiver would have to be exactly the same in regard to docks and approaches.

I would like to see the Otto cement mixer though.

Shock Therapy and shogun Thank this.
  8. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    The beer plant in Houston already has robot fork lift moving beer around the warehouse.. and this was 5 10 years ago..

I still think we have a long way to anything Otto.. it may be just right around the corner to start seeing a few hear and there but we are still a long ways off of them being cost effective.. I’m sure if a plain Jane crapcadia is $135 $150k then a Otto Truck will be in the millions.. just my opinion. Even in the future there will still be a need for humans in the Otto error, only problem is it won’t be us drivers who is needed, it will be engineers and computer gurus..

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Every time I see a new article about any self driving vehicle, this comic pops into my mind.

[​IMG]

Dave_in_AZ, Rollr4872 and mhyn Thank this.
  10. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Otto can't drop an RGN, put that excavator on and chain it. Nor can Otto strap and tarp a load.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    GM that I deliver to does also. Well, rack tugs anyway...
    But remember these are very well defined paths in a very controlled environment . Even then the dock super has to go out at least once a shift to nudge it along as it decided it could not handle an open dock and refuses to move.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.