Over The Road Repair Shop Guide

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Cybergal, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Larrysen

Larrysen Bobtail Member

May 7, 2009
    Detroit, MI.
    I am certain it depends on which one you go to and others variables such as how busy they are, etc. I will say that recently they seem to be making a concerted effort to provide better service.
    For those who are interested, they are running a current promo for Yokohama tires that really caught my eye. At Madison, WI. (if the woman in service did the quote correctly)- I can get a set of RY617's for steers for around $600!
    Speedco also said that Yokohama is running a promo with them for Jan.

I have heard the Yokes run hard, but am looking to get just one to mate up with a 395 LHS GYr. for the time being. I guess another good choice would be the Firestone 590- perhaps about $40 less than the Yoke 617 currently at Speedco. Anyone have any input on these two? Trying to save some $$, and a new 395 LHS is about $100 more...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jardel

jardel Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2009
    BUFORD,GA
    i heva a invertor on my volvo i cant shut it off the swich stais on at all time it wont shut off anybody knows anything

\\\\

4. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    Maybe time for a new inverter. you might try to either call the manufacturer or look them up on line and ask them what the problem is or if they will do an RMA to send it in for repairs unless it's old then I'd just update!

5. jhnsmith978

jhnsmith978 Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Yeah, Its really a good idea...

6. dairyman

dairyman <b> Hopper Thread Greeter</b>

Oct 31, 2009
    Ky.,wait'n in line
    martin's peterbilt in london,ky. good place to get into and good people ,ask for darren,been reasonable, there off I75

7. Woody13

Woody13 Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Stoops Freightliner has a few shops. In, Oh and I think also in Pa. I have been to two of them.
    Lima Ohio location was backed up and busy but I was in a hurry and needed to get going. Tranny cooler was leaking. They didn't have the part I needed right then but was able to by-pass the cooler and get me moving until I could make my delivery and schedule the repair.
    Then I decided I was ready to buy my own truck. I stopped at FYDA in Columbus Oh, told them what I was looking for and they acted like they didn't care enough to even make the effort.
    I went to Stoops from there in Dayton Ohio. They jumped through hoops at every stage of the game in finding the truck, explaining every detail I had questions about, provided history, dyno'ed the truck and DOT Inspected it, haggled price, took me through the shop and introduced me to the managers, gave me good solid advice on how to proceed with warranty issues, repaired all the minor stuff I picked out...ect...
    These guys go out of their way to do a thing right. They get the thumbs up from me.

Travelinman Thanks this.
  8. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    The last OTR co I was with had all long nose petes (30) with 18 speeds. Their yard is in georgetown and they try to use martins for all their major work. I had my truck in there a few times and I liked the service there. Good, honest, people.

9. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    There is a independent shop in Morton's Gap at the pilot. I have been there a couple times. I would not advise anyone to go there. They never did fix the AC problem I had. The last time I was in there the AC lasted for about 2 hours after they fixed it. I went back a few times and they would charge to check it out, but not fix the problem. Their solution was to put in more freon and not bother to fix the leak.

They also put a new axle, seal and brakes on my truck. That repair lasted a few months. Had a road repair done when my seal was leaking real bad. The road service wanted to know who did the botched repair. I told him and he said he gets a lot of stuff they supposedly fixed. They marred the axle up so bad from beating on it they had it full of silicone and the spindle nut was finger tight.

10. reasy

reasy Bobtail Member

Aug 10, 2009
    florida
    keep up the good info.
    i will need alot of good information on good repair shops since i will probably be on the road 30 days at a time. i live in south fl and it is not worth coming home too often.
    i am writng a list of all the recommended shops. mechanics are much cheaper in miami, but it cost too much to drive out empty therefore i need to stay on the road longer.

grat thread

11. gharr8

gharr8 Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2009
    dfw, texas
    fella I know of in Weatherford TX, north of I-20. Texas Diesel Power. A little off the road but a fair repair shop

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.