Oversized precast

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by RollinThunderVet, Aug 29, 2019.

1. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    ps: @x1Heavy it was a W900 (i think?) .. wasn't a Pete, don't know my KW's that well....large'ish car all I recall.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Thats the problem. Stupid shippers I cannot think of any but a few.

The first time I was confronted with a ship plating roll of steel that seems to be from the hand of God on the 250 ton crane over my dinky little rig... it was pathetic. I threw everything on it.

A little run south with it. Do that a few times. It was scaled CAT legal in Gary/Hammond. But just.

It would make me happier to go back to the farm and have a 55 dodge flat 20 foot deck and have about 6 to 8 round bales of hay pyramided up to the sky. Don't brake too hard. And tip it not. No securement whatsoever. J turn at the hay barn to dump it.

Happy days.

G13Tomcat and FerrissWheel Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive been away too long. But I think I know my KW's of that timeperiod. There are small differences between the two they are not the same.

The KW would be a more... class and strength than the basic working man leaking pete but if you had a tool box and some gum.... eh...

cke, FerrissWheel and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  5. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I just know my Pete's... drove 'em all pulling asphalt. Almost bought the fleet but didn't need five. Heck no. Can you even SEE the tractor in that pic? Probably not. Wasn't plastic, All i recall.

OFF TO BED, MATES. late start if I work at all tomorrow. Be safe, y'all. Tell Mike and Brad sorry i didn't bounce over yonder, haha!

FerrissWheel and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I'll have to take another go at that picture sometime.

It is late. Not accustomed to a busy night. Tomorrow is a new day. in 30 minutes. HA...

7. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    That is kinda of the thing, most places that even have that too load, would never dare load it on that. Theres gotta be a story behind that much special. "Dont worry driver its just a few blocks........ I mean states over"

G13Tomcat and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. FerrissWheel

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    Night

9. FerrissWheel

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    Ive got 2 and a half. Then my measely 30 minutes turns into 12 hours. And i grab one more 12 wide before AZ stops us all till tuesday.

10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    For me I suppose being a trucker back then required some courage. But not to be afraid of anything. My Company told me that I needed to check every weld on that Ravens for a while before getting onto the property to load that special coil. All welds needed to be perfect as they were without tearing etc. That was a pretrip from hell. Then Im told this is a max load and it should work out for the run. But They didnt tell me much. The mill was waiting when I showed up.

THUMP. You know in those days with coils you have the little lumber, wood angles and metal coil cradles and retired conveyorbelt material for cushion etc. That coil just flattened it all but did stay put. The bow went out of the trailer to perfect flat.

Dinky chain little straps. ugh. There is a old word "Lilliputians" against the giant. Did three of those. In the flyover from the mill it was rated at 20 and I took it at 6 which if you went too fast over you go. Long drop. If you went too slow over that side you go shorter drop. whats your pleasure.

11. booley

booley Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2008
    No chains, tho?!? I'm getting too old to throw chains, I prefer straps. I threw chains for 20+ yrs, never trusting straps. Then I got into hauling more and more painted steel (fancy paint not just primer) so I got used to using straps. I don't drive like a maniac so I trust my straps. The dispatcher warned us once last year in a group text to be careful cuz this precast stuff will slide around...I replied they should try hauling steel...
    We also use the A-frames... IMG_2407.JPG

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.