Overweight

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jjpaez123, Oct 11, 2019.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    1 pallet is enough to be legal.

2 pallets is what he needs to buy fuel and be legal.

3 pallets is too much. So how do you figure it's not enough?

As for running around the scales. Easy to do on the east coast.

Ain't happening on the west coast in most states. Unless you've got lots of time to kill and don't mind a few hundred extra miles. In the mountains.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Last over weight ticket was in 05 i think..Think i got tagged in ohio for a grand with a thou heavy on my yrl axles,i think..Been awhile..

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Utah was $50 for 1500 over on axle. 15 years ago.

Oregon was $300 for 2500 over on bridge. 8 years ago.

Those are the only 2 I've gotten.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Back to the shipper you go take 3000 off.

There is no way to gross or axle this load.

A alternative is to go back to shipper, reload 4000 pounds onto another company truck. For now you two are going to the same customer.

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

TN is a $/lbs plus a fine.

7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Sometimes its easier to just get around the scales... espeically if its one of them shippers that is a hassle to get loaded and always load u overweight and dont have scale on property. Then have to wait in line to get reworked. If was me id run it around the scales best i could

starmac Thanks this.
  8. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Prob with goin around scales is that dot use their remote and go lookin for that so then its almost as if your in bigger ....Also if in an accident and your over weight and even if its not your fault,that adds big time to the issue....
    Bottom line is that your responceable for everything when you leave the dock..
    Is your life and or livelyhood worth all the bs....
    Shipper cant ship it legally,then i roll without it...Ill chat with dispatch an all and let them know but "NO COMPANY" can force a driver to take it..
    Always other companys..

9. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    No doubt it is better to be legal, BUT more than once I have loaded last and by the time I got to a scales to check the weight, they were closed, so no option but wait till morning or even till monday morning.

No more overloaded than he is and if he can slide his fifth wheel he can get so close to legal it isn't funny, except for fuel, then even if he has to go through scales he just has to is watch his fuel and not buy more than he can burn off. That is a royal pain, but I would make it work, IF it is going to be a big hassle to get it legal.
    I have also found that if a guy is overloaded, then have it on the steers, it seems like they do not pay as much attention to them and they do the drives and trailers.

10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    When they make you wait till the end of the day. You can guarantee you're going to be heavy.

11. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.