Packing List for Students

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by notarps4me, Jan 24, 2007.

1. MO family man

MO family man Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Nunya, MO
    Not putting words in aneone's mouth but I think he meant stapler. Birth cert. for border crossing, some of that stuff seems like a orientation list though. I personnally wish people wouldn't buy a trk stp guide and atlas till after they get out with a trainer. I swear by a Rand Mcnally spiral bound atlas but people show up with all kinds of different ones that aren't very good. Same with the guides, the exit guide seems great at first but dang if it doesn't seem like way to much info to be usefull.

grandpawspeedy and Doyne Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rocketdoc75

rocketdoc75 Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Racine, Wi
    What I have ofound to work best as far as truck stop guides go is the pocket truck stop guide you should be able to find at just about any truck stop like a TA, Petro, or even a Pilot. but the large version of the truck stop guide is useful when youre doing your trip planning. I would also look into (once your in your own truck) a 12V crock pot and one of those "old school" looking lunchbox stoves. theyre cheap, easy to clean and you can cook all kinds of stuff in them. I also found at a TA a burton stove cookbok. havent looked at it yet but i'm sure there are some good recipes in it. gotta go for now going to do my "reset" now woo hoo. happy trails and keep it between the ditches.

4. Cruise Cookie

Cruise Cookie Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Arizona
    I wish I would have seen this before posting a similar thread in the newbie section.
    nevertheless, thanks for the advice, I tend to keep it light like you say. With my attitude as well. Again , thanks.

Baba Looey and mje Thank this.
  5. seansolo

seansolo Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Cambridge, Ohio
    As for the tools go. . . I won't be getting paid to fix trucks, just drive them. I'm going into debt to go to driving school and will owe my soul to a company for a couple years to pay it back. I am not paying to be a mechanic. If it's something that my multi-tool can't fix then I'm not qualified to repair it.

6. rocketdoc75

rocketdoc75 Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Racine, Wi
    Does your company have the "trainer" call you in advance before you meet w/ them? if so then ask at that time if it would either be acceptable for you to bring a cooler or if they already ahve one if you would be able to utilize some of their cooler space to keep a few of your things cool. Another thingyou can do is buy the Ramen in a cup or the ones in a tray or bowl looking thing. then when you stop for the day or start you go into a trk stop get some hot water from the coffee machine and heat up your noodles. Also I would put in some items like a small can of peas or beans and a packet of tuna. More protien for you so you don't get sick of peanutbutter so fast. Hope this helps!

7. bullwhip

bullwhip Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Friendsville, Tennessee

It is always best to have a small tool box with tools...because if you have something happen to your truck or trailor that is simple to fix with a turn of a wrench or screwdriver,well that will save yourself time and money for sitting there waiting on roadservice...plus it will save your company money to...just remember, if them wheels are not rolling, you are not making and money...

another thing that is very handy to have on hand is a metal clothes hanger...If the clamp on your air to air line breaks you can twist that hanger tight enough to make a temp bracket till you can get one..

I guess I may be old school I guess...But hey, It works and keeps you moving...lol

BW

God Bless

8. seansolo

seansolo Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Cambridge, Ohio
    You're right, I probably would have a basic tool kit on my own truck (but not my trainers). But I am not a mechanic, either.

I certainly hope that I get a trainer who would teach me what I can and can't fix (and how) on a truck. I've read some about stuck tandems and landing gear on crappy trailers that it would probably be nice to know how to "take care of."

9. chargingbear

chargingbear Light Load Member

May 11, 2008
    murray , utah
    truck atlas are a thing of the passed and inaccurate. GPS units are more accurate.
    [​IMG]

10. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

You could not be more wrong. I use both and have a truckers version GPS. One of these days your GPS will cost you a lot of money in fines or getting your truck towed out. Let me know how it goes when you have some more stick time.:yes2557:

IYAOYAS, THD, pulchritudetoo and 9 others Thank this.
  11. chargingbear

chargingbear Light Load Member

May 11, 2008
    murray , utah
    but its pricey right now for me i have too wait for them too go down [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$399[/FONT] ouch![/SIZE][/FONT]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.