Padlocks

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by AM14, Jan 6, 2017.

1. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    I wound up grabbing a new lock anyhow and picked up some graphite and some 3 in 1 dry lube.

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SingingWolf

SingingWolf Heavy Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    That works too. The Break Free CLP is actually a gun oil and rather than graphite it supposedly has Teflon. But as a gun oil it has to stay effective at very low and very high temperatures. Not all gun oils do this but for something like a lock work I find it to work very well

WesternPlains and Big Don Thank this.
  4. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    I realize this post is 2 years old. Yet I just saw this on youtube. Makes you wonder why companies feel we need to secure the loads with inferior locks

Only 1:37 to break it.

SingingWolf, Lepton1 and tscottme Thank this.
  5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I just spray some WD-40 on it. It works year around. It doesn't freeze until -81 degrees. And if it's that cold, you have bigger problems than a stubborn lock.

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

WD-40 was invented to drive moisture out of missile components. WD stands for water displacement. It lubricates like any fluid would. In my experience it greatly speeds up corrosion unles you keep the item dripping wet with it.

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  7. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I don't know. It works alright for me. Locks that wont open, all of the sudden do when I spray it.

Of course I will tell you I don't keep locks for too long. Eventually some ### hole comes along and clips them off because he does not understand my unlocking is a sacred process.

Well more accurately, they call to tell me they need the locks off and I am sleeping on my only working ear so their call doesn't wake me up.

But for the life I keep my locks, WD40 has gotten the job done. Also fish love the smell of it. So if you are ever hungry and have a worm and some WD..

tscottme and SingingWolf Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I use a marine grade brass padlock, the #### thing is like three inches across. Never rust. It opened and shut every time without fail for over a decade. I might still have the #### thing on a shelf somewhere.

There is no point in relying on it, anyone can buzz saw into the trailer any old way and gone with the goods before I understand we been robbed.

9. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Locks are to slow them down. Slow them down enough. They give up.
    I use one to stop BillyBob from fooling around back there. Even if I'm empty.

10. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    OP mentioned expensive locks at $30. That's not expensive. Decent locks are over $100.

11. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Mind you that was posted 2 years ago. Yet the reason I posted the vid is some of what companies are pushing as secure can be broken with a simple propane torch

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.