Payment Expectations

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mack37, Jan 2, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I am working on ejection factor plus a couple other relatively minor things. It's one thing to pass a DOT exam in some mass intake clinic, but quite a formidable mountain to confront a FAA Medical exam for private pilots (Or any pilot I suppose depending on levels of certification.. Im focused strictly on small planes like the Archer or the 152...I recall the Archer was a good working plane better than some cars actually)

Even today Im not certain if I want to proceed. I have some stick time and a bit of instruction long ago, but those days are long over. Maybe I hope for a future where I don't need to take medicines and overcome some of the limitations and get going. I should stop hoping and get started. This would be the year to do it on my end. I have begun to take steps towards that goal.

Even if I did not get licensed, it would still be a journey worth taking up again, because you only get one life and it will be a shame to let it dribble through your fingers doing nothing.

RedRover Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Just do local tanker work. You don’t want to live in a truck man.

I work a casual 45 hours a week(paid hourly with overtime), eat healthy food, get out of the truck 5-15 times a day. Home at night and it’s just like any other job except I drive a truck. You don’t have to make it a lifestyle. I sleep in my truck once a month.

Do I like driving a truck? Sure, but it’s not a lifestyle it’s a job. If someone offered me more money and the same hours to run a loader or cook in restaurant I’d consider. You don’t have to do one thing your entire life.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    HEB a grocery chain here in TX has prepared meals for 6-8 dollars. You get a piece of meat, a side of veggies, and something else. It’s like a TV dinner except it’s real food. There’s no mess at all afterwards, quick and easy. Of course parking and getting yourself in there with that huge truck? Maybe not always easy.

But for me right now I live on those things. Two of those feeds me for the day. No preparing and no mess to clean up after. Leaves lots of time for me to procrastinate other things that need to get done.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. Mack37

Mack37 Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2018
    That's what I'm wanting to do, either regional or local work (preferably local). I've got a missus in my life and she's not too keen on me living on the road. I'm just worried that accepting local jobs is going to hurt my pay. Plus I have no idea how steep the learning curve of driving in DFW is going to be. I'm confident in my ability to learn and tackle challenges (never met a challenge I couldn't overcome) but this seems a little daunting.

6. Mack37

Mack37 Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2018
    I've got thousands of hours in flight simulators and a dozen in the air. I do tours at a local flight museum and try to find time in the ####pit whenever I can. I - love - flying. The only thing holding me back is my $24k annual earnings...

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I wouldn’t worry about pay too much. I’d say pretty much any local tanker job you’ll be able to make a decent living then in a year or two you can shoot for a 80k a year job.

As far as driving in traffic you just gotta do it. I learned in down town Minneapolis. Did I do some dumb things looking back? Yeah of course but now I don’t think twice about holding up 4 lanes of traffic to back into a stop real quick.

8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    In my time I learned I had too heavy hands trucking is well and good. Dock at the dinner table just so without tipping the wine glasses. But try to hold a light plane at a assigned altitude just not working well. Trimming is the key here. I discovered I was a way better nav with the map and radio stack in the right seat so we would team up and go on cross country, draw a triangle say from Camp David exclusion to Dulles then to Harpers and back And try to stay on track while air traffic filled the sky. It was motivating.

Sometimes I wonder since 9-11 things have seriously changed in that part of the USA in the air. It's almost like you cannot come upstairs without permission from Washington Center and a filed plan. It's different now.

Someone should set a dinner table dock challenge. Fill a couple tall unstable wine glasses on it. Put a 53 foot against it to one inch across the entire tailgate doors without tipping those glasses.

9. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    I would do about 6 months OTR personally. Whatever these fools tell you, seeing the country is fun for pretty much the whole first 6 months.

10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The USA is still fun to me after a lifetime. In fact I am such a wanderbug that traveling around the USA is still FUN. Just so long there is time to spare prior to delivery or a little bit of downtime after.

Some of my memorable days happened when we leave the trailer and bobtail downtown to go do something for morale purposes. And learn the local culture etc if at all possible. Sometimes it's fulfilling when a spouse guides to old stomping grounds of childhood somewhere or to visit a buried sibling etc. It takes a Dispatch that is very aware of what is happening, how long it will take to load a given trailer and be able to say here, take off. Be back here in 9 hours ready to go. Yes Daddy.

RedRover Thanks this.
  11. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Local work only enhances your pay. It never hurts.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.