Picking my own freight baby! My journey to & of being on Schneider choice, the Adventure & Numbers!

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by freightwipper, Jun 1, 2015.

1. SingingWolf

SingingWolf Heavy Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    Hey! I've actually had that happen. No damage thankfully. The deer face planted the rear driverside quarter panel of an old pickup I used to have.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    we are told by our terminal manager to report deer strikes just that way. otherwise safety can possibly be a little anal about things.

Shock Therapy and PoleCrusher Thank this.
  4. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    Yeah I can see that.

But when you're at a 10 truck company, with the owner right there telling the guy its alright, nothing he could have done better, the evidence of the deer is right there... Stuck under the head light housing...

Honestly you can't fault a driver hardly for a deer strike, wildlife in general can do some crazy stuff.

5. oicu812

oicu812 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Used to see a lot of moose in Wyoming on HWY 26 north of Jackson. You also don't want to blow the horn at buffalo. I guess they take it as a challenge.

SingingWolf and ChicagoJohn Thank this.
  6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Someone just put this up on the FB page...

“I arrive to shipper early to see if load may be ready early. They say load has been cancelled. Hmmm,company driver in parking lot. I asked if he was going to Groveport same reciever, he said yes, they just sent him the trip. Same PU time and drop time as my load..Hhmmm. I smell greener grass on the other side of the fence calling me.lol. This kind of sh## is why a GOOD bussiness owner can not stay with SNI. Not complaining, just the facts. They say they don't do that but when you catch them over and over, its hard to look the other way.”

Cool-aid drinkers are setting him straight....

7. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    I hit a deer way back in 2001 when I was working at Swift. I was driving on a two lane highway in Idaho heading to Montana. There is this sharp embankment heading down to a river. A deer panicked and decided to head right up that embankment and right onto the road in front of me. No chance to swerve or stop. It took out the hood on the right and my headlight assembly and the light itself. Deer seem to be crazy stupid.

If you head up past Payson, AZ on the small highway that heads to i40, you can see HUGE Elk just standing in the road casually like they belong there...horns and all. They don't seem to panic when a huge truck comes around the bend. They may just casually walk off the road. After seeing what a deer did to my hood, I wouldn't want to hit one of those things.

PoleCrusher, SingingWolf and 48Packard Thank this.
  8. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Yep, nothing new at the pumpkin patch. Just one of the games they play.

TennMan Thanks this.
  9. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    One of the reasons i left...got tired of it..

10. Sipesh

Sipesh Medium Load Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Colorado
    Same here. Back when I was still with them, there was only one good load on the board to reliably get back home with. Then, one day, that load ceased to show up on the board. I was told multiple stories about that load...everything from "we lost the contract to DART" to "It goes intermodal now." Yeah, it didn't. It went on company trucks. The year since that I've been running local, I've seen that load coming into the same places I used to bring it on Schneider trucks. Ask the driver where they picked up and bingo, it was the load they simply no longer allowed ICs to see. That, combined with them only offering 85 cents a mile out of town here for loads that I know were honestly paying over $2 a mile from the shippers... I'm getting ticked off just writing this. I need coffee and a donut.
    TL;DR-yeah, the freight games sucked.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.