Please help me understand!!!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by S.V.Buyck, Feb 17, 2015.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi mtoo, I agree on the O/O part, but when I had company jobs, I always did a good job for any boss I worked for, and there was no reason for them to chew me out. If they did, I quit and went somewhere else. My biggest problems being a company driver, came from dispatchers. When I was an O/O, I was leased to a company and my biggest enemy was the compliance lady. Me and her went 'round and 'round many times.:biggrin_25516:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I know there are still some good ones but a majority of the companies out there suck to work for when you really examine it. Unfortunately many of the better paying ones have adopted the attitude that they own you. Another reason is to many safety department Nazi managers are trying to make a name for themselves and justify there job off your back. They need to show results no matter what. Being an O/O is plenty of headaches but those are headaches I can deal with in the comfort of my own home most of the time. Are there days when I miss being a company driver? Yes. Mainly because I miss hauling tanks and there is no real good tanker opportunities for O/Os in my area that would get me home as much as I like. Another thing people ask me about is pension. Many guys put up with a lot of BS most of there lives as company men for the "retirement". They are wise to do so, BUT. One thing some, but not all don't consider is while they are slaving away at a job they don't care to much for and tolerating the plethora of BS the management dishes out is there health. Ever see how out of shape some of these guys are. Some are lucky if they make it a few years after that retirement they work so hard for. If your going to go that route you have to stay in shape and try to beat the odds because they are stacked against you in this line of work.

4. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I hardly call grossing $228k in 9 months of 2014 as an O/O hauling cheap. Personally I think thats a pretty ignorant blanket statement to make.

Have I had a perfect year? No. Could I have done things more efficiently? Absolutely.

Anyone who can go out their first year as an O/O and do better, my hats off to you. For me, I had some considerable expenses and debt to pay off.

Wish I had dedicated shippers and/or accounts to fall back on. I havent reached that point yet.

"Must be hauling cheap". Really? With how many years experience you have and thats your best assessment?

Hurst

5. KenworthGuyNH

KenworthGuyNH Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Central, NH
    Did you think he aimed that at you??

6. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    i wasn't aiming it at anyone…..but if an o/o only nets 40-50k then whats the point of being an o/o? Besides the working when you want? I done the exact same(actually mine was 229k) last year, was home every weekend besides 1(I chose to be out that weekend)

Not dealing with dispatchers?
    Not being told where/when to go?

I chose to be in business to expand and be comfortable……..Will I ever be as big as Schneider or other big megas? Probably not but, I never know what dream I will dream next…...

7. Derailed

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Boston is the hot ticket right now, Ive been getting swamped with emails for loads going there but no thanks. With as crappy as the weather has been the last few weeks I've been pretty good at dreaming up excuses to stay home. Today I had a sink full of dishes from breakfast this morning and the area rug in the living room needs vacuuming.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    "semi" retired and Cetane+ Thank this.
  8. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Thats part of the excellence of being an o/o….everyone doesn't have to do it for the same reason.

Best assessment no, it was an opinion.

9. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Yep….and the loads coming out of there haven't been that bad either…I was offered a load out of the Boston area to savannah tuesday at 3$ a mile going to savannah...

10. Derailed

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Wow, just read where a couple of the wal marts and some other malls roofs are collapsing. Place sounds like a real mess

11. S.V.Buyck

S.V.Buyck Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2015

Well I need to learn from you and Hurst because I would never start my own business to not make money Or for company wages. Maybe O/O might not be for me, been defiant all my life and now that I do right life's been great minus the bs. It will be years before I make this type of leap but I would love to learn the business. I've very disciplined when it comes to my own but discipline doesn't always mean great business man.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.