PrePass Issues - Lane Straddle

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Sara3394, May 3, 2010.

1. HEAVY DUDE

HEAVY DUDE Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NUNYA
    I drive a out of state truck thru WY. All most always get a green light. So not all out of state trucks cross WY scales.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SLCTrucker

SLCTrucker Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Salt Lake City UT
    I drive WY twice a week.
    PrePass gives green light 95% of the time.
    Evanston and Cheyenne.

4. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    KEYWORD: "IIRC" (If I Recall Correctly)
    It has been several years since I had Prepass

5. sazook

sazook Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Springfield, MO
    NC isn't a part of PrePass. They have there own system, but I'm not sure what it's called. It uses transponders on the highway that look like PrePass transponders, but they aren't.

6. Coonass

Coonass "Freshy Fresh"

Sep 23, 2008
    Another thing to keep in mind is that "WIM", weigh in motion, is a different
    system than PrePass.

WIM is the scales in the road with the digital boards that tell you if you can
    bypass or enter the scale.

PrePass is the overhead transponders with the transponder in the truck that
    communicate with each other giving either a green or red light.

There have been times where the "WIM" has told me to bypass but the PrePass
    has given me a red light. In cases like this you MUST allways do what your
    PrePass tells you.

Some scales have both and some just have one or the other.

7. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    When I got back stateside they made us take our flag off.:biggrin_25516:

8. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    when we're state side we're not allowed to wear the OD flag, only the red,white, and blue one.. only time we can put on the OD flag is during jumps and when we're west of Gruber Rd. (in training areas).

9. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    You guys with the combat badges and patches, Thanks for the service and the same to the rest of you serving or mwho have served. To my era vets from Vietnam "Welcome Home" and the samee to all of you who have been in harms way!

Now to PrePass, The info about WIM is not correct. WIM with PrePass is for PrePass. It weighs you down to the axle! Some even have camerass set up to take pictures of plates, side of truck for ICC info and even a picture orf us fugly drivers! I' was even pulled in for being over on 1 axle on the trailer which came from the anti creep or what ever they are called that swing down onto the axle to keep the trailer from dropping while the air bleeds out from the air bags.

What I got was an over on the rear axle as it didn't release when I pulled out of the dock but the EB 44 Sullivan, MO scales caught it as all the weight was on the one axle and I had to pay the scale masters BF to come out and jack the trailer up to get it to release!

I've also seen the speed we did going over the WIM scales! Yep they can do that also! And the pictures of our mugs are pretty good too!

If you stay between the lines coming up to the overhead arm you should not get a straddle notice but when thoise morons who have to get in front of you just before the zone will more than likely get you a red light for following to closely. To bad they don't have a camera doing video on that arm so that they can give the yoyo's a "being stupid" ticket! But whats so funny is these are the same idiots that will do 15 mph and not the posted speed across the scales making everyone behind him have to cross the static scale!

Another thing the scales can do ,is set the PrePass unit to wave a certain number of trucks across the scales to do a "census" of who, what and when cross the scales. They just set what they want in the computer and wait for us to come to them!

I still like that PrePass! I don't worry as most of the time I'm good with logs and truck except for that stupid deal above! That was the first time I'd ever pulled a trailer like that. Live and learn.

outerspacehillbilly Thanks this.
  10. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Same here... don't really worry about it, keep my logs tight, and equipment in good shape. No worries, right?

OTOH, I keep talking to some of my compatriots who are getting regular level I's. What's up with this? My company has worked it's way into a really great safety rating, and I routinely get the green light crossing the WIM scales on the highway.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they've already tied who's driving (when it's obvious we're not slip-seating) to which tractor/prepass transponder is getting keyed... in my case, I've been on CSA2010 for awhile now since CO was one of the pilot states.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.