Prime vs Swift

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jdshroudie, Aug 7, 2014.

1. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    swift's policy is that company drivers turn truck in if taking moe than 3 days off. but differant terminals or dms make their own rules. my dl says 4 days for me. also, you can change terminals or dl's if the current one is not working out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dale thompson

Dale thompson Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2013
    commerce twp,mi
    if there is an abundance of experienced people at swift WHY is the bar so low to become a trainer? both of these mega fleets must have real issues just because a small handful stick around and keep spewing that tired line of it is all in your attitude that is such a line of excrement to get you to lower your standards. How about applying some logic like if a carrier has more than 100 trucks and 5 years will get you to the top 20% of seniority it is probably not a quality job IMHO

4. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    easy answer..swift doesnt require you to be a trainer. i for one will not become one lol. i've talked to alot of swift driver who been here 5+ yrs. i dont care if you beleive that or not. and if anyone has a bad attitude...they wont last in any type job . take it for what its worth

5. sazook

sazook Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Springfield, MO

I haven't driven there in 2.5 years, but from what I gather from the people I know that still work there... The pay out of training is 38CPM + 5CPM for a lightweight truck (which most solo company drivers would be in). If you're on the northeast regional fleet, there would be an extra 5CPM making it 48CPM total. Above that, there is a fuel bonus program that can pay an additional 6CPM.

6. Clintonstain

Clintonstain Light Load Member

Oct 12, 2012

Turnover for large companies (over $30 million in sales/year) was 96% last year over the ENTIRE industry. That means that if a company started with 100 drivers on January 1, only 4 of them would still be employed by December 31.

At that rate, you have about the same chance of getting struck by lightning than working for the same company for 5 years

Chances of working for the same company for five years:
    (.04) x (.04) x (.04) x (.04) x (.04) = 0.0000001024
    or... 1 in 1.024 Million

Chances of getting struck by lightning:
    Estimated U.S. population as of 2011: 310,000,000
    Average Annual Reported U.S. Lightning Deaths and Injures, 2001-2010: 280
    Odds of being struck by lightning in a given year(reported deaths + injuries)
    =1 in (310,000,000/280)

or... 1 in 1.107 Million

Work for them if you want but have an emergency fund set aside of at least $2,000 set aside for the inevitable...

7. trk500547

trk500547 Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2014
    i'm o/o with swift, only problem i have with them is if you can just be rolling just fine, getting your miles, but only takes to get to a area where some a-hole of a dispacher will make you life miserable, that is the problem with companies as big like Swift, in the other hand Prime is just......SLOWWWW, lol you don't wanna be behind then in a 2 lane road, you can't make much money doing 55-58 mph, unless you team up.

8. Jetsr6

Jetsr6 Light Load Member

May 20, 2011
    Mechanicsville, VA
    What? You can make plenty of money at 55-58. I do and home almost every day.

I drove for swift for five years and had 3 day weekends and made $65-70 year. On a dedicated job throwing tires out the back of the trailer for Sears auto centers in the north east.
    Swift was good to me.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.