Prostar work around

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by kneegrow, Dec 29, 2009.

1. A&KFreight

A&KFreight Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Did you ever get this problem solved? My truck has the same issue.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. A&KFreight

A&KFreight Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Did you resolve your problem with this dmitriysh10? My truck is doing the exact same thing.

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. Bigdaddy Pirt

Bigdaddy Pirt Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Ok, I know you talked about this a while ago, but I just bought my 14 prostar. I did this quick fix just like you said and now my check engine light is on. Got any idea as to why?

6. Bigdaddy Pirt

Mar 27, 2020
    Ok, I know you talked about this a while ago but I just got this 14 prostar and wanted to be able to start it without putting my foot in the radiator. So, I followed your easy directions, got it all fixed up, but my check engine light is now on. Have any idea as to why?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    What exactly did you do?

8. Bigdaddy Pirt

Mar 27, 2020
    Did as you described, took the 2 pink wires and butt connected them together. Plugged it back in, put it back together and fired the truck up. Check engine light cycled like normal and then stayed on. Drove truck, everything works like it's supposed to, but the light stays on.

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yeah, those two wires have no interaction other than what I previously stated. Must be something else. Did you have the key on with anything disconnected or unplugged?

10. Bigdaddy Pirt

Mar 27, 2020
    I checked to make sure the work around worked before I hooked it back up, so by your response, I'm guessing that it tripped the light because of that.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  11. Oneoff1

Oneoff1 Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2021
    MY 2009 Prostar/ Cummins alao required pushing the clutch pedal though the floor board to get any starter action. The square black magnetic switch box embeded in the clutch pedal support bracket must get a fraction t[ far from the parallel metal side of the actual clutch pedal when depressed. Maybe eve requiring enough force to bend the pedal arm slightly closer.
    Now the fix I came up with requires removing the lower kick panel as others have said. Its all out in the open to insert a 3/4" to maybe an inch fender washer (the thinner the better) against the magnetic switch face.
    That closes the contacts within the switch (which apparently all the straining and pushing of the clutch pedal would barely ever do)
    Remember that there is nothing that prevents starting with the manual transmission in gear.

12. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    International is the only brand I've seen that makes you push in the clutch to start it. Never seen that garbage on a KW or a Star.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  13. JLTaz1532

JLTaz1532 Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2021
    My 2015 International Prostate won't start. It is reading Electrical Fault. I changed the batteries, the starter and the alternator. Amps are good. What is wrong with it? How can I get it started?

• Truckers Report Jobs