Question about Canada-US work.

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Canadianhauler21, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Thanks, I had a feeling it was illegal. I just wasn't 100% sure. Thanks for the advice, I'm going to tell my company its a no go from now on.

laaylor Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The only work I did inside Canada is to clear Winsdor or Toronto Customs inbound load, deliver, come out empty.

YOU as a Canadian Trucker can come here deliver and go back empty or with possibly company property in a company trailer for instance.

I don't know enough about this subject to offer anything else that's useful. One thing I hate in our Laws is that when you pull a statue out of the books saying this or that, and there are going to be 10 more following it making it a Gordon Knot.

4. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    US to US drop, hook or delivery is illegal for a Canadian. Whatever you do after your first delivery in the US has to come out of the US. I'm really surprised the CBSA hasn't nailed you yet. Staying in Michigan for more than a day or two from Southern Ontario would be a huge red flag for them, they should start asking questions.

You must be getting through the Ambassador at just the right time to rubber stamp you across without much questioning.

BigHossVolvo and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  5. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    No reason to question it. Drivers stay down for weeks at a time. CBSA doesn’t care. CBP might. The rules are not as clear cut as everyone thinks. It’s incredibly grey. I had a meeting with INS, CBP and the border patrol. It’s tough to get a clear answer with companies based in both countries.

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  6. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Deleted

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Reason for edit: Never mind. It's a losing battle.
  7. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    The problem is because there are two sets of rules from two different departments; Customs and Immigration. In the past they were completely separate, at least now they are both under Homeland Security.

Basically, Custom's rules apply to the equipment and goods, and Immigration's rules apply to the people. So the problem is that you can be in adherence with Custom's rules (repositioning, etc.), but be in violation of Immigration's rules at the same time. It gets further muddled because in the past Customs put out literature stating what their rules were, but there was no mention of the potential violation of Immigration's rules. They did relax some of the rules regarding repositioning, exchanging trailers and forward moves, but it is still messy.

8. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    This!

I just went through this exact same thing, I took a load to Reno NV low on hours. Delivered, Reloaded (at the same place in the same dock) went to a truck stop and switched with one of our team trucks, that was coming out of California (They were empty). I took their empty back to Reno NV to the same shipper, loaded and headed for Canada (at this point my re-caps kicked in). When my company asked CBP/US Labour for a clarification to make sure this was ok. It's Like gokiddogo said, you are allowed one empty re-position/switch, and both loads must be returning to Canada with no US deliveries or further re-positions. Even if the empty you re-position is going to be loaded, and then make a US delivery after you're long gone; it is not allowed.

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  9. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
  10. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    That's what I got printed out from one of our instructors from Driver Development after i had a discussion with my fleet manager.

11. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    And the rules are different as well if your parent company is American.

BigHossVolvo and laaylor Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.