Question about engines

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Cptn_Deudermont, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI

You have it backwards, it is the newer trucks that tend to breakdown, and or totally grenade. I have one of these newer trucks, mine is always having issues of one kind or another, though I have just about replaced everything as I go and am finally to a state of reliability. It has taken 4 years to get to this point and has been very expensive.

Now, my older NON EGR DPF equipment, I could drive those with just general maintenance. Gas tires and oil. They have cheapened these new emission trucks to the point of absurdity to make up for all of that R&D money spent to develop these EPA motors. And then we have the warranty costs on these new trucks and motors, they are through the roof for the manufacturers, so they cut more corners. I have been in the KW Chillicothe OH plant more than a few times and have spoke with more than a few old time employees, and have asked them about this. They confirmed everything I just stated, and in some cases it is even worse than I thought.

As I tell everyone, if I were to purchase another truck, it would be a pre emission unit, 2003 or older. It would have a rebuilt Cummins or Detroit motor, the rest of the repairs one can afford to do as they drive the truck and make money. I have told other friends to do just that, they spent at most $20,000 for a truck with the above rebuilt motor. They are out making money when I am broken down. I know what I speak of, and I am sure there are plenty more guys on here that can back me up. ;-)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Rawze's videos are the BOMB! Also, that motor he rebuilds in his long series is seven years old, Rawze drive's a 2010 ProStar with the Cummins CM-871. He knows his stuff, and quite honestly, this is a good motor once it is properly fixed and tuned. I would say one of the best Cummins motors in the ISX line that has been built. But, it does have its issues. The heads are one time use item, and there are issues galore with the emission system, but those are easily "Fixed". ;-) Once fixed, it is easily maintained and is very reliable. The rest of the truck, the ProStar tends to cry allot. But, once you get a handle on things, it is a pretty good truck. BUT, there is a learning curve, Rawze has personally helped me through much of this, his website is truly Godsend if you own a Cummins.

Brandt Thanks this.
  4. murat

murat Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2009
    nebraska
    My mechanic said the same thing about trucks and engines,two indenticals, one could be great the other nothing but trouble.

5. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Warranty isint worth the paper it's written on. Maybe, just maybe the manufacturer warranty on a brand new truck?

These aftermarket warrantys are junk. Read all the horror stories. I have bought a couple in the past and did nothing but fight with them. I have first hand knowledge of people I work with that have bought them too. Every single time it was a problem.

The only positive reviews are one post wonders. That means they are paid for adds.

If you don't at least gain the mechanics knowledge, brand new is your only hope and you better be lucky.

gokiddogo and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.