Really discouraged

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Wparrish1986, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You applied at Schneider; they do hair follicle drug test.

Here's from Stevens website: "No current probation or parole."
    So it looks like if you're not on probation or parole right now, you'll be ok. Even if I was, I'd apply anyway because many companies bend their own hiring criteria.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    It does matter what you get paid.

Couple of thoughts, and if this comes off as judegemental, it is not meant to be. The theft is worse than the attempted murder. Theft, in this industry, outside of drugs, is about the worst of the worst. Think about it. We are hauling hundreds of thousands of dollars of goods. The companies want to make sure you aren't going to steal it. They just see you and your record. They won't see the progress you have made. (You have done a wonderful job of overcoming your past, it seems.) Like me, companies don't know you from Adam. So, you have to prove yourself to them.

That being said, I would recommend a reefer company like Stevens, for a few reasons. 1) generally they pay better, not always, but usually. 2) reefer companies do not require a hazmat endorsement. A lot of dry van companies do require you to get it or have the ability to get it. Your felonies may preclude you from getting the hazmat. Also, find a company that wont send you to Canada cause with felonies Canada wont let you in.

Might try Craigs List as well. Some of those companies may be more apt to give you a shot.

Good luck.

Wparrish1986 Thanks this.
  4. Wparrish1986

Wparrish1986 Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah I saw that school. I wasn’t sure about it because Stevens has received so many bad reviews. I was trying to get into other places before going that route. Thank you though.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Each persons experience with a company is going to bs different. One driver may hate it and not make much. You, and others may like it and make more.

6. Wparrish1986

Oct 2, 2017
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks bro. I understand about the theft thing, but most companies have rejected me for the attempted homicide so far. Oh well, perhaps I’ll look further into the Stevens school and stuff.

CrappieJunkie and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    HAIR FOLLICLE TESTS... retain in your hair 9 months activity in which your body has been exposed to. If you have been around someone or did smoke pot for example in that time period it's hot. And forget about shaving. Big hair goes bye bye, little hairs hold more secrets.

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Not in your case because of that felony.You have to start somewhere.As the saying goes beggers can't be choosers.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. Wparrish1986

Oct 2, 2017
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Great. The only thing that helps my wife is going to screw me out of work. I’m so sick of this crap against marijuana. I haven’t done drugs in six years but that doesn’t matter.

slow.rider and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Indeed. I once had to spend about three weeks on a small bowl of chili with trimmings every other day waiting for that payroll to come in. I refused to borrow a comcheck and go into debt. It was a interesting month. But I get a little upset when I realized now what problems I must have been during that particular month. Im glad it smoothed out and we all got along. But sometimes I dreamed that dispatcher sawing and sharpening his axe prior to calling me up to see what the temperature is in that blessed reefer.

pattyj and Wparrish1986 Thank this.
  11. Wparrish1986

Oct 2, 2017
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Which is why I asked if it’s even worth it. Like I said, I have a sick wife and a daughter to care for. I’m not unemployed, I’m just looking for a better career. If that entails being gone for months on end, getting paid next to nothing and have absolutely nothing to show for it then how is that worth it? I just don’t know if I can swing that. My other concern was even if I do put up with it and get the experience that doesn’t mean other companies would then hire me so it could all be for nothing. I guess I have to think and pray about this further.

pattyj and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.