Reefer light is Yellow!

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by VA CDL Holder, Jun 26, 2022.

1. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Picked up a load of ice cream at -20 degrees setting, parked overnight and was greeted with a yellow light being displayed in the morning. Jumped out and looked at the display and it said “EES shutdown in 249 hours”

Not a good way to begin the day, but it was maintaining temp. Then as I was calling it in to breakdown, the light went back to green. Breakdown didn’t think much of it and said something about a filter needing replacement. So I drive, but then an hour before I decided to shutdown, the light turned yellow again and has stayed yellow.

So now I’m awaiting a Carrier tech to come out and fix it. As I doubt I’ll be able to reload with a yellow light at the next shipper.

I can’t be cheap to get tech out on a Sunday morning!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    As long as you don't use up the 250 hours before delivery you're fine. Get MT and go to dealer.

4. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    should be plenty of time to get it empty as there’s only 168 hours in a week.

5. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    When I had to go to a Carrier dealer after hours to have a door sensor overridden that said the door was open when it wasn't, and therefore wouldn't go into high cool(because nobody at my company has the code to unlock the unit so we can do it ourselves), it costed the company a $500 after hours charge...and it took him less than a minute to disable it.

alds, Boondock, Cat sdp and 2 others Thank this.
  6. VA CDL Holder

Jun 14, 2011
    The tech got the light green agin in like 15minutes, cleaned what looked like a DPF filter inside the unit. Thing is smoking noticeably too. Advised against putting another load in the box, except a dry one. He had the thing apart for about an hour.

7. VA CDL Holder

Jun 14, 2011
    Got up at midnight for my delivery and the light is yellow again!

8. VA CDL Holder

Jun 14, 2011
    The company solution was to drop the trailer at a local Safeway DC and use it for a pallet load. So the problem was just postponed temporarily.

9. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    That's not a postponement. Its moving the trailer under load to a better location to get it repaired instead of paying for another road service call.

10. MRMTRANS

MRMTRANS Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2015
    After hours service for 2 different Carrier Dealers this past weekend for me was 1 1/2 x normal rate, 2 hrs minimum charge. I suppose that is the charge for all Carrier dealers. And I am guessing they are all $150/hr minimum normal rate. I paid over $500 for 45 minutes of work and a short wire harness to the micro because the clip to lock it in broke.

11. VA CDL Holder

Jun 14, 2011
    It will get lost in the shuffle. I took it to a Safeway DC and the only possible load for it will be a pallet load. At some point another driver will try to use it and get the yellow light and just leave it. Or the forklift driver will rip the chute while loading pallets. On the other hand, I did get an empty out of the place that worked for an ice cream load just yesterday.

Speed_Drums and Boondock Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.