Reefers will have Def and DPF next year.

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Oldironfan, Dec 26, 2017.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I have not heard that.

I do worry quite a bit for the bees. I am NOT a tree hugger or none of that foolishness. However there are certain stores who sell good things created by Bees in our area each year and we rely upon it. I would hope that in general Bees are allowed to thrive and work where possible. In fact in one of the dental surgeon's offices you carefully walk around a cloud of bees working the flowers in season. They don't care that the big scary humans are coming through. They have work to do.

Anyhow if the use of those chemicals needed to comply with emissions end up killing Bees for certain, I will have a problem with that. We don't understand that Bees are a foundation of most foods we eat, if not all of them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas

I hope one day I can crack a joke big enough to float that state to sea with a for sale sign on it. With that said, it's a waste on a monumental scale to even have such a thought. I don't want nothing bad for anyone, but you would think that a place like Cali with it's riches beyond what most Nations in the world will ever see would do well. But no... They get crushed under the weight of their unnecessary laws.

4. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    If putting a DPF on a reefer unit means saving one caribou...If one manatee swims in the ocean for one more day.....If the spotted owl is able to fly majestically one more minute, then ITS STILL NOT WORTH IT!!!
    My stupid Crapcadia has been in the shop 4 times in 4 months, and is in the shop right now with emissions problems. Bring back the 3406B!!!

RubyEagle, Zaros, Dave_in_AZ and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    There are already reefers on the road in Europe testing out CO2 refrigeration rather than tradition refrigerants. There is a company in UT somewhere testing out there Cryogenic reefer that doesn't use a motor. There are lots of solutions in testing but are not viable due to cost. The government focuses too much on emissions rather than factors that contribute to consumption. It's easy to own a car in America, to get license, unless you're a truck driver you can be a total idiot and not loose it, government shows political favoritism to the energy sector (oil, gas, coal). You can't make good policy if you have so many other factors affecting the production and consumption of fossil fuels. Energy is cheap in America and until that changes, the focus on emissions alone places the burden on those that make a living at providing transportation of goods by any means because they are the most convenient target.

Zaros Thanks this.
  6. Anonymousproxy

Anonymousproxy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Good old CARB. That’s one agency that needs to be cancelled out like a stamp.

7. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Because fuels like gasoline and diesel have greater energy density than the energy sources you named.
    Not to mention they are more reliable and economical.

8. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    To be honest, I am not sure why trucks aren't all hybrids anyway. Diesel-electric hybrids have been around forever for trains. There's definitely a size advantage to be had with a train, allowing for heavier drive train, but if we can do gasoline hybrid cars, we can almost certainly do diesel electric trucks. And no, I don't mean Tesla toy trucks that will be linked at the hip to charging stations. Diesel generator, a battery bank, and electric drive motors. Regenerative braking instead of jake brakes. Regen braking with electric motors could actually be implemented in ABS controls too, making them superior in almost every way to jakes.

But I've rarely ever heard of diesel electric trucks, outside of a few one-offs used for dockworking.

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
  10. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    One word. WEIGHT!
    A railroad locomotive doesn’t worry about weight.
    That’s the untold fact about the Tesla truck, it is around 12k pounds heavier than a diesel.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  11. Holland Duck

Holland Duck Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I just installed a DPF filter on my Landing gear of the trailer, in case I need to go to California!

Zaros, shogun, Dave_in_AZ and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.