Refusing a back.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Brandson, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    by looking at all the missing chips of concrete and black on the yellow im guessing some drivers have not fared to well against that dock.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandson

Brandson Medium Load Member

Dec 14, 2013
    That is my point. If such a dock did have all or most drivers refuse to back up to their docks, they'd fix the situation and/or utilize smaller trailers, etc.

Trucks are needed in this country, and driver's and their HOS are, while not limited, also not in infinite supply. I just wish more drivers would try to change things in this industry, instead of being proud of doing things illegally and/or stupid.

jdiesel3406 Thanks this.
  4. Sillyputty

Sillyputty Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2015
    IMHO every drop/ back/ unload...has the POTENTIAL to have its own unique circumstances. Your drop at 0700 will not be the same as mine at 0900. Traffic, other deliveries, detours, alternate side of street parking, blah blah. the only one responsible is the one in the drivers seat. The "fact" that someone did it before you means squat. The person telling you that might not know the difference between a PUP, yard dog, day cab, single, tandem, super sleeper, 40', double, triple, 53'........ Those of you who have never or would never refuse a back. Good for you. You may be very knowledgable very able drivers with more experience than others. ( woohoo ) those of you who make the difficult decision to back or not to back and you try it anyway and it works. (Awesome you gained experience and learned more about your abilities) those that chose not to potentially damage the equipment because for whatever reason you were not comfortable backing in that situation ( good for you, you made a tough and potentially embarrassing decision that kept you from damaging equipment)
    my profile says I'm not a trucker and I don't consider myself one because I don't do it for a living but I've driven Just about everything I can think of on wheels. ( prepared to be flamed)
    and I really like this forum but the one big thing that bothers me is how quickly some of the members are so quick to try to belittle another driver. Yes there are new men and women to the field, and different levels of ability and experience., but you were new too one day, and you had trouble backing or shifting or whatever one time too. So why is it so hard to be constructive and helpful to another driver?
    I'm guilty of shaking my head when I see some of the things we all see on the road, but as soon as I suspend my disbelief I try to help that driver if I can; because I remember my first days driving, the challenging days when I fealt like I learned and excelled or improved, those days were exciting.
    So if some of the drivers out there ( or super truckers if you prefer) can't remember those days when you were just learning or improving ( before you became super awesome because you sure weren't born a driver) then I feel sorry for you because the early days for me were the best days, the days memories are made of.

5. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    I'm the first to admit that I'm not a super trucker or a super anything for that matter.. As ridiculous as some backs may seem, One either can, cannot or won't Practice, practice, practice and practice some more. We get that by doing.

6. millsjl01

millsjl01 Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Driver seat/sleeper berth
    I can't really say I have ever "refused" to bump a customers dock...but I have refused to bump the dock they specified once or twice.

Bottom line, I don't much care who's name is on the door...when I'm driving it, it's MY equipment and I refuse to tear it up because you wanted to give me an obstacle course to negotiate.

Also, on occasion we get loads going to places that are not designed for a sleeper/53 foot truck. When they look at me with confusion on their faces as I open the doors anyway, I simply tell them to go find a pallet jack and a forklift. I was just unloaded yesterday in the middle of parking lot using only a forklift and some straps. Good times.

Then I call my dispatcher and cuss him out lol.

NavigatorWife and jdiesel3406 Thank this.
  7. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    I think Frank Lloyd Wright was way before 53' trailers were even thought of, some of his houses were built in the 1890's. He also had a son who was into architecture at a later period of time.

8. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I've seen drivers who can't back their truck into a dock in under 50 tries even with a football field size empty parking lot directly in front of them and no obstructions whatsoever to contend with...just a straight back in. Then I've seen guys who can thread a needle to hit the most difficult docks in 1 shot. It has nothing to do with superpowers or being a supertrucker. It has EVERYTHING to do with your ability to handle the equipment you are operating. You're either a professional who has the ability to put his truck and trailer where it needs to go, or you need to practice and develop the skills necessary to be a professional. You won't ever learn if you constantly refuse to challenge yourself and always opt for the "easy" way even if it means passing the job off to a true professional. If I were your dispatcher, I'd send you to as many "difficult" places I could until you either learned to do it, stopped complaining, or quit. You're paid to deliver the freight...and that means getting into the dock.

Ezrider_48501 Thanks this.
  9. Brandson

Brandson Medium Load Member

Dec 14, 2013
    We're not professionals. Unskilled Labor.

10. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Speak for yourself. With that attitude, unskilled labor is all you'll ever be.

11. mpow66m

mpow66m Heavy Load Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Northeast
    Backed over a mailbox once backing in from the highway.Guy told me not to worry about it he was replacing it anyway.I said sure you were...........he took me around back and showed me the bags of quickcrete,the post and the new mailbox,lol.felt a little better and he tipped me $20.00.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.