Roadmaster driving school question

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by choo choo train, Mar 3, 2007.

1. froggy

froggy Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2007
    I was on food stamps when i decided i wanted to drive they paid 5000$ for my school but the one thing I really scrweed up on was I took desiel service tech/ cdlb when I could have taken the cdlA if I would have signed a paper that stated they were not responsible for getting me hired The progran was WIA

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ddog

ddog Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Bradenton, fl
    Good info froggy. I just saw from one votech in St. Pete that no pell grants for a 320 hr course - M-F (30 miles from me). Orlando Vo Tech is 320 hr course (122 miles from me) but the best school in FL from what I hear. And then there's Roamaster for 3 weeks in Tampa.

I sure would like to go to a good school. I'm a good driver, but not knowing how loaders pack truck, I want every edge possible.

4. ryterguy617

ryterguy617 Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Roadmaster is out for your money. I was just at the Tampa branch and graduated. The only thing good I have to say about them are that the instructors were good. Facilities were crap. Class sizes were too high (the more bodies, the more revenue). Vey little regard for our complaints of poor teacher/student ratio. Classes should be 12 max...! Rigs were mostly shot to hell, too. I graduated, though. Would've gone elsewhere to be honest...like a vo-tech or another class. Wait till you go to a trucking company and use theirs.

5. ddog

ddog Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Bradenton, fl
    Yeah, that's what several have said. Mid Florida Tech is supposed to be great, but they don't have class start/stop schedules, don't have the WIA listed which may be my fin assist savior (other than VA), don't have a summarized class cost estimate, and don't answer or return phone calls. Their truck driving school may have good sizes since no one outside of Orlando can reach them due to a forcefield around their school of stagnant cars parked on the roads and innability to get information on web or phone. Oh well, its always something. The only good thing is avoiding Orlando's traffic which is nasty to say the least. I'll just have to look at the next few alternatives which does include Roadmaster in Tampa, vo tech in St. Pete, and several vo techs on other side of state.

Thanks ryterguy for the information. With good instructors, it is an alternative anyway. Glad to see you did well!

6. choo choo train

choo choo train Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I am registered at MFT for the Class A program beginning August 2. The class runs until October 4. The time frame is a little longer than usual because they are off a week in September for a school teacher’s conference. MFT is part of Orange County Public Schools. They have a 1 hour orientation every Tuesday at 11:30 a.m. You must go to that orientation before they will let you do anything. I tried calling them for information and had some luck but they insist you go to the orientation. You have to have your class A permit and your DOT physical before you can register. After you register you have to have a drug test at least 2 weeks prior to the start of class but not more that 30 days before the start of the class. The class size for Class A is 10 students. I think they have 4 instructors but they run a Class B program at the same time. The classes are Monday thru Thursday from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

At 10 hours a day, 4 days a week, for 8 weeks, that is 320 hours. They said that you will test for your CDL after 5 weeks. They said that you will drive approximately 1,250 miles by the end of the program. Their equipment looks pretty good. I think most of the tractors are FreightShakers. The following is the breakdown of the expenses:

Tuition $614.40
    Supply Fee $999.00
    Books $ 80.75
    App Fee $ 25.00
    Parking $ 25.00
    License $ 55.00
    Drug Test $ 43.50
    DOT Physical $ 37.00

Total $1,879.65

I believe there is going to be a price increase coming up. They mentioned it but didn’t say how much or exactly when it was going to happen. You have to pay for your permit, drug test, and DOT Physical out of pocket but they deduct that from the amount you pay them. They have a deal with a local walk-in clinic to get your DOT. You can get it anywhere you choose but they will only give you credit for $37.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

7. ddog

ddog Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Bradenton, fl
    Wow, fantastic Choo Choo Train! It would be an extreme critical path excercise to make it work, but that would be optimal.

Now I have something to work with at least. If I can get VA and WIA to help me, could stay at a YMCA or a cheesey hotel during the week since only 3 nights per week.

The only thing I was going to get extra was a motor vehicle driving record as far back as I could ($20 in FL), since don't really know what's on it. I don't want to get caught in a lie talking with a good company.

My cost averaging on DOT's is $70, but I think that also includes a drug test. So they have it covered in $37+ $43.50=$80.50, but if they only give $37 back, its better than nothing back for the best training in Florida.

I'm jealous of you since you can go with any trucking company you like now right out of school. I wish had my stuff together as well. If I make your class, I'll buy you lunch or dinner somewhere for sure. Congratulations and best of luck.

Thank You Greatly!!

Hee Hee. Choo Choo, I'm too late for that class, and Dale, one of the MFT instructors just called me up. I was mad at their web site host (or his supervisor's instructions of site --->) and the Directors took it out on Dale whom I embellished in the email (???). I don't think will be able to go to MFT, as much as I'd like to got to them (logistics, cost, travel time, schedule). Now I can rationalize another reason not to go. But I've got his phone number any way.

The only thing other than his phone number that Choo Choo didn't cover was classes start about every 5 weeks. But Choo Choo's detailed response should be on the MFT website: very professionally presented.

Whoa Baby Doll! Just talked to Roadmaster rep close to me in Ellington, FL for a visit tomorrow morning. He said just bring my social security card, lol. $4995 cash and $5995 loan with 18% interest. MFT is starting to look better and better again! That's $600 payments a month to pay off in one year, which may be hard to do with their sponser companies the first year. MFT is just one week longer, so the cost/benefit pendulum is starting to swing heavy in MLT direction. Think I'll hold on to my ss card and drivers license tomorrow, but will definitely listen to what he has to offer since still a valid alternative. 18% plus a thousand dollars though:biggrin_25523:

8. shortrookie

shortrookie Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2007
    mft is best in florida i been looking for awhile they also ptdi cert. and onle school crete hires from in florida, i'm trying to get wia grant though and they send me to fccj closer to me but still long drive back fourth everyday if i can fund school my self i would for sure go to MFT!

9. ddog

ddog Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Bradenton, fl
    Shortrookie,

Yeah its $50 round trip in gas alone for me, not to mention several hours each way through congested traffic. Figured I could scout out a $20/night cheap hotel for 3 nights/week (2-1/2 day), if pay as 3 day no-service room. Don't know if there is any in Orlando outskirts though. Hell, I'd even sleep in the lab or the truck sleeper with my sleeping bag and do a slip-sheet cab-clean every morning if they would let me... errr ... look the other way, ha-ha.

10. Honestengine

Honestengine Bobtail Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Hey guys, this sounds like CDI/TDI schools, maybe the one in Indiana. You know, these darn trucking companies are in cohesion. I went to the TDICDI in IN. and I watched people get hearded in and then filtered out, the reasons were ranging from flunking drug tests to not being able to cough up half of the 5995 down, or having no co-signer to get through. They will let you attend for the first week and then you get the big weeeny until you cough up the dough. They require you get at least 3 pre-hires by the second week, and then by your third week second day, you better have an orientation set up or they will not graduate you.

It's all depending on the money, money, money, money, it's all about the money. The training is quick, they don't have quality scheduling, as in too many students, too little instructors. The instructors that are there are ex-truckers who don't always have the skills to teach and instead they intimidate you instead. They tend to BS with other students while your driving and get so loud it distracts. They don't care about their students and if you don't act like a robot they won't even give you the time of day.

I am speaking from experience.

11. the pope

the pope Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Orlando
    Ill tell you guys one thing, from being on the road alone for 3 months now and training with my trainer at TransAm, you will learn the bulk of what you need to know out here on the road. Dont give up guys, the job and the pay is definitely worth the sacrifice. Good Luck!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.