[roehl]

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by roehl22, Feb 18, 2008.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    WHO CARES, ALREADY???

So a grammmar correction took place that didn't even concern you. Get over it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MO family man

MO family man Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Nunya, MO
    HA HA HA:biggrin_25514::biggrin_25514:

4. MommaKay

MommaKay Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    Okee dokee. Just back from two weeks on the road not doing my pre or post trip inspections, so this is the first chance I've had to reply to this thread.

In short, I must say "Balderdash!" to the OP. In Evo I, my trainer's truck was pre and post-tripped every day. I know, because I took it upon myself to do so. I didn't see him doing a pretrip on day one, so I assumed that he was expecting me to do it. Didn't ask, didn't get huffy, didn't call Safety -- I just did the pre-trip.

Roehl's policy for Evo I and the first half of Evo II is that the trainer and trainee have matching log books. Not just in theory, but in practice. It is just as if there is only one driver in that truck, not two. Second half of Evo II allows for more of a relaxed atmosphere, and the trainer can be in the sleeper berth while the trainee is driving (if the trainer feels that the current driving conditions are within the capabilities of the trainee) -- but only for a small portion of the day. The two must still have matching logs for a given period of time. OP should have called the Developmental Fleet Manager and had a new trainer assigned.

Perhaps I was lucky, but my second Evo I and entire Evo II trainer took his job seriously, and actually TRAINED me. But had he not been doing so, I would have demanded a different trainer.

So do I perform a complete DOT-type pre-trip inspection each and every day before I leave the truck stop? Not really. But during the course of an average day, I will check every part of that truck at least once. Of primary importance to me are the air-brakes and the fifth wheel, not to mention the wheels and tires. These items get checked more times, each day, than I can keep track of. It's an ongoing inspection that starts when I get up and doesn't end until I go to bed. Likewise with my steering wheel, mirrors, windshield, gauges, pedals, shift lever... you get the picture.

"Roehl doesn't do pre-trip inspections." Horsepucky. Some dunderheaded drivers may not, but they likely won't be with the company very long.

5. I know that when I was in EVO I and II, I did a pre and post trip everyday. In EVO II, I would get up, go to the bathroom in the Truck Stop, clean up, get some coffee and come back and start the pretrip. About half way thru it, my trainer would get up and head into the truck stop to clean up. Then he would be getting in the truck about the time I was ready to do my break check. He told me when I first got in his truck that I was in EVO II and he wanted me to do everything and he would tell me if I missed anything. I actually really learned a lot with him because it was almost as if I was on my own, but he was there to push me in the right direction when I started to miss something. I did all the trip planning, qual com, and most of the driving. I was the one going in to each customer too. I appreciated him doing that. I had three trainers. I was with the first one for 5 days and didn’t back the truck once. When I got in with the second one, he had me do much more of the planning and backing. By the time I got with the third one, I was doing it all. I didn’t do everything perfectly everyday, but he would tell me if I was screwing something up. At the first customer with my third trainer, we pulled in and he went in with me. They told me what door to pull up to and he stood outside and let me do it all. I guess he wanted to see how I was at backing. It took me a few tries to get it in square to the door. I got out of the truck and asked him how I did. He asked me if it was at the door. I said yes, He asked if I hit anything getting it there. I said no, and he said then it was perfect. Any backing evolution that you do not hit something is a good one. I was probably with him for 4 or 5 days before I actually saw him back the truck up. We pulled into a truck stop and the only spot we could get was a really tight spot. He got out and looked it over, then backed it right in there first try. I told him that I was glad he was the one driving when we pulled in that truck stop.:biggrin_25514:

Once on my own, I continued to do pre and post trips. Every time I stopped I would thump the tires and check the 5th wheel. I was always scared of someone walking by and releasing the 5th wheel while I was in the rest room, so I always checked it. I always figured it was my ticket if I got pulled over and something was wrong. I have to admit it though, you can sit in a truck stop and count on one hand how many drivers actually get out and do a post trip or pretrip for that matter. Most of them just go from the bed to the driver’s seat. I always felt like everyone must be watching me at the truck stops saying, “Look at that newby doing his pre and post trips”. I did them anyway though. :biggrin_255:

6. beckysrobbie

beckysrobbie Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2007
    wisconsin rapids, wi
    On day one, my EVO I trainer put me in the seat 30 minutes after picking me up. Spent an hour screaming at me and then went to bed. A primer for the next 12 days! Regressed me pre RDTC. Was thinking of packing it all in. 12 days of being called stupid and useless will do that to anybody. yeah yeah, should of asked for a diffrent trainer, and in hindsight,#### right! But don't to make waves that new into it. Thank god for my EVOII trainer, I was only his 5th student, but he is the best you could hope for. Never raised his voice to me, but when he was pissed,It was obvious! Always encouraging, never degrading. I'll have a year in solo next week. Thanks Jose!

7. Kanman

Kanman Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Wichita, Ks.
    DIS HEAR POEST BEE TWO FUN'E!

Op, you don't want a job, you need a mommy.

8. odd_artist

odd_artist Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2008
    River Falls, WI
    My hubby asked me to look into other trucking companies, as he's on the road, but I have the laptop. :) I thought I'd see opinions on Roehl and US Express, as well as others, and I stumbled upon this thread.
    I started reading it for information, but then continued for the entertainment. From the various other threads on this company, I assume this company is better than most, and was not surprised to see the originator came off sounding like a whiner. Anyone who finds it necessary to use large bold font, and piss-poor grammar and spelling obviously has an inferiority complex.
    Kudos to those of you who said to do the right thing, even if those around you do not.
    And addition applause to those of you who refuse to stereotype all truckers as uneducated yokels who can hardly spell their names correctly. You don't correct them in a spiteful manner, you merely wish to bring such errors to light, so that in future postings, the writers may sound more intelligent, and therefore more believable.
    Thank you for the entertaining, if not very informative thread. I actually laughed aloud at some of the comments!
    :biggrin_2559:

9. MorrisGray

MorrisGray Light Load Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Rock Spring, GA
    Amen to that last post! well put my friend ...
    And the final answer is? Roehl is good or bad?
    And why? Curious minds would like to know.

10. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    Going by the posts here, I'd have to say they're good to go with. They're far from perfect, though. But which company is perfect? And is it hiring? Nope.

11. odd_artist

odd_artist Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2008
    River Falls, WI
    Hey Tip-
    You say they aren't hiring? Is this first-hand knowledge, or just something you've heard? Hubby's finally starting to get the mileage increases, and is seeing better paychecks, but keeping an eye open for opportunity as well.
    Judging from the little ditty that ends each of your posts, I assume you are a Swift driver. So is Hubby.
    Thus far, he's happy with them. He had an awesome driver trainer with whom he still speaks to on a daily basis. The man is like a father to him (Hi Ivan!!!), and is welcome in our home anytime. And he also has a fabulous, intelligent and caring driver manager who shall remain unnamed, because we don't want them to become too popular, and therefore too busy!
    What, in your opinion, are the 3 best companies to work for and why? Inquiring minds want to know!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.