SAIA

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by yankatank, Oct 7, 2019.

1. USMC 3531

USMC 3531 Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Is the NC terminal saying they have a position open? If so you may get a call.

Texas_hwy_287 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. yankatank

yankatank Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2018
    that's what it said online and when i applied. I'll wait and see what happens. I know how LTL works with hiring as well. It usually takes a good month or 2 before you actually have your 'first day'. thanks again!

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  4. USMC 3531

USMC 3531 Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Yeah no problem and good luck ,hopefully that's not the case, they had me on in little over 3 weeks from day of interview, that time included my two week notice to the employer I was leaving.

Texas_hwy_287 and yankatank Thank this.
  5. Jaystan0712

Jaystan0712 Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Michigan
    Im a linehaul driver for Saia out of Michigan. Yes you stay in hotels always, if your a system driver. But there is some dedicated routes that may require a laydown, basically 1 day out to deliver 1 day back to home terminal this still in a hotel. Depending on the specific terminal you could get a high dollar bid route upon hire or you could get stuck system for years its very specific to terminal and region. System is basically doing what's needed at different times. It changes daily but system drivers as a rule make the most money. You get paid well for the inconvenience of being system. Far as the cameras, no phone policy, they exist. Every terminal manager is different some enforce to the letter, most use common sense. Every driver at our terminal has a bluetooth headset talk on them constantly alot of drivers have CB's. I eat, talk on the phone, stream podcasts ive never got in trouble once. The big No No is never get caught with a phone in your hand with it up to your ear don't tailgate that will get you in trouble fast. You will learn quickly what triggers the camera in your truck and learn how to avoid it. When i started i triggered the camera 10 or more times a night. Last month i triggered it 4 times for the whole month that was caused by pot holes. Its a very safety oriented company for sure not everyone likes that. As a driver show up on time make your cut times or dispatch times you'll be fine. The polices will be enforced when drivers cant follow basic rules this is common in our industry. LTL isn't for everyone its fast paced, high pressure driving with tight delivery windows. Linehaul is long overnight hours more of a lifestyle. Pickup & Delivery P&D is days, more like a job. Far as assigned trucks some terminals have it most dont even if you have a assigned truck dont get attached. If a out of town linehaul driver pulls in your terminal on a Saturday he puts his truck out of service he can just grab another truck from your terminal i guarantee he's taking the nicest, newest truck you may never see it again. I do it all the time. Never get to comfortable in a truck at Saia. For me slip seating, strict safety policies, and all the other redundancies and polices that come with LTL are worth the pay! With Saia you can count on 80k realistically to start some drivers hire in at 100k+ upon hire. Our top earners at my terminal are 120k. LTL drivers are some of the highest paid in the industry for a reason. For some drivers they don't like all the rules, burdens, ####ty equipment ,long overnight hoursthat comes with LTL. Alot of it comes down to your specific terminal...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.