Securing a bobtail tractor

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Long FLD, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Kinda makes me think the turbo was already smoked. Those things run very fast. I’m pretty sure a slight wind getting into the pipes is only going to nudge them very slightly if at all. Think your customer just bought a shady truck got burned and wanted you to take the rap for it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Thank you for this. I’ve never hauled anything with wheels, don’t want to have my old cabover fall off the trailer. Lol

4. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    You can...
    But do you want to take the chance for something that is so easily done?
    I have found thru out my career that going the extra mile can save you a whole bunch of heartache later on.
    One example is on my car carrier you will never see a vehicle strapped down at two points because that’s all the law requires.
    Any thing that goes on my trailer gets a four point securement regardless of the minimum legal requirements.

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That’s a bit of a different animal, and I think I’d do that too if I were in your place.

But, for the several years I’ve done lowboy work I’ve never duct taped an exhaust pipe and have not only never had an issue with that myself, but have never head of anyone else having a problem either.

6. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    I had heard the same thing from heavy equipment mechanics. They said if the stack was facing into the wind, the turbo could spin up. And with no oil pressure, doesn't last long.

clausland Thanks this.
  7. Shawn2130

Shawn2130 Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Ontario
    The possibility of a turbo spinning is likely because one of the engine’s cylinders may have two valves open at once allowing air to flow through.

Turbos spins so easy.

Also it’s considered unprofessional not to have a cover for the exhaust.

Many customers will demand their exhaust to be covered too.

roshea, clausland, AModelCat and 2 others Thank this.
  8. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    I have only hauled wheeled stuff of my own, but more and more have been using straps around the tire like car haulers. I think id use my short straps and 4" hand ratchets wrapped like a cancer awareness ribbon. I feel that its more of an independant securement.. Meaning if i lose the other corner the whole thing isnt nullified, like crossed chains that need each other. The strap wrapped wheel is being jammed a bit more downward and also forward/aft all in one.

Not that there is anything wrong with cross straps or chains at all. I just enjoy not laying underneath the nose while rainwater is dripping in my crack.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Long FLD Thanks this.
  9. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I hauled an older Ford diesel backhoe.
    I didn't tape exhaust.
    Made delivery.
    Next day broker called said he was filing damage claim on my insurance.
    Turbo was damaged in transit.
    Customer started motor and it smoked very bad and claimed motor was ruined.

End of story. No turbo on motor. Claim denied.

10. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Trucks I don’t worry about anymore. They have so much junk in the exhaust system it’s hard to get air through them when they’re running. Machinery is another matter, wheel loaders and crawler tractors for the most part. They have next to nothing for an exhaust system, and little in the way of air inlet piping. Tow a 966 Cat at 60mph with the stack into the wind you’ll put a substantial amount of air through it. Newer trucks are pretty well plugged up on the in and out sides by design. An old cabover with ram-air cleaner tops into the wind I’d cover though. Especially if it had no mufflers on it.

11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Do trucks/equipment get hauled around without exhaust covered? Yes. Does turbo damage occur? 95% of the time: no.

Doesn't matter which way the pipe faces or which way you haul it. As @Shawn2130 said, if you have any cylinder on valve overlap, air can be drawn thru and slowly rotate the turbo. If it dry spins enough, it'll wreck it.

Shawn2130 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.