Securing that vehicle, help!

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by DMPCarrier, Mar 22, 2022.

1. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Absolutely, even if you don’t crack the wheel’s you’ll likely cut through the straps, the car will fall off and land on it’s roof needing you to go buy duct tape and a buffer before delivery.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DMPCarrier

DMPCarrier Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2022
    So to be safe then the only way to go is over wheel lasso, short as possible.

4. rccarlson22

rccarlson22 Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2019
    I used those same straps at first but after a couple too many close calls with movement I bought these and the cars are much more secure now. I use two of these on the front wheels where the engine weight is and use two of those single-attachment style on the rear wheels

Side Mount Wheel Net W/ Cam Buckle & 2 Ratchets and Chain Extensions

DMPCarrier Thanks this.
  5. DMPCarrier

DMPCarrier Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2022
    I actually had these run my cart not long ago lol. Thanks for the reassurance, its good advise to at least use two like you're doing.

6. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017

Many brokers will not want you strapping through the wheel, but I do it all the time. Personally, I like that method more than around the wheel when using lasso straps but you have to be careful and on certain rims you simply can't do it on them. Don't strap through the dull-looking black matt wheels that you often see on 4WD trucks or sports cars because there is no clear coat on those and the straps can scratch them.

I also don't do it on brand new cars but I rarely haul new, but when doing it, I always use the blackstrap protector on the wheel area to help protect them a bit and I keep the ring away from the tire. You can also protect the wheel with a shop rag if you like. I've never had a wheel get damaged by doing them like that but some dealers/brokers will not like you doing it.

Personally, with lassos around the tire they seem to come loose a lot more but almost never come loose around the wheel. Also always remember to set the parking brake when you load a car. That's helps stop the straps from loosening.

DMPCarrier Thanks this.
  7. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017

Be careful with those that you linked.

Working Load Limit:
    1,000 lbs

Seems way too low unless those specific ones are meant for ATVs or something. I know they make higher rated ones.

8. rccarlson22

rccarlson22 Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2019

Wow I never noticed that! Something seems wrong though. It’s 2” strap and the chains are 3/8”. I’m not saying I know more than the manufacturer but it’s gotta be more than 1000lbs

crocky Thanks this.
  9. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Yeah seems odd to me too. I know I've seen that type that has a way higher rating. So maybe it's a mistake on the website because I know I've looked at using that "style" of double rachet over the wheel for uses with bigger trucks/vans and they had higher than 1k..

With that said I have also noticed the typical 3 points over the wheel straps that use the e-track securement are only rated at 2k because that's the limit of the e-track system. ( I had looked into installing etrack on my trailer so I could use over the wheel traps but once I saw the 2k lbs limit I was like.. welp nope..

As far as those straps I'd almost bet it's a screw-up on the webpage, but I'd double-check with the manufacturer if ordering that brand.

Vulcun has these doubles I was looking at but they aren't rated any higher than a single rachet lasso strap. I guess the limit is the strap itself. But they're 3,3k

https://www.amazon.com/Vulcan-Classic-Yellow-Hooks-Working/dp/B01NAZXSXP?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

I'm not sure if I like the rings that close to the rims though, but if they'd let me do Sprinters with those I'd buy them, but I'm betting they'd whine because it's not "standard" OTW 3 point.

They have them with chains too, but I dunno on 2nd thought I don't like the way the rings are touching the tires. That and that across the wheel strap would likely rub on a lot of rims.

https://www.amazon.com/Vulcan-ProSeries-Side-Chain-Anchors/dp/B01N1A319E?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  10. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Have you considered some E tracks sunken into the wood so you can use it for freight and not damage them and the otw straps to grab those sprinters? They have the same 3,300 weight rating. I hate lasso straps.

11. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    They actually don't. Read the rating on them, if you use e-track they are only rated at 2k lbs because that's the max rating of the etrack system. I know guys use them, but they are only usable on sub 4k lbs cars.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.