Self loading used equipment

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Charlie42, Dec 6, 2022.

1. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    worse thing we ever did? Get a brokerage.

we’re competing with him on rates.

PPDCT, OLDSKOOLERnWV, CAXPT and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Very little issues with those if there’s a dock on each end, the the person loading doesn’t panic at the break over point. Just keep going, once the machine is flat on the deck, then line it up.
    34k drove on and off with ease. 3422BDCD-8DBC-40A0-9FB4-D30D7053AEA0.jpeg

OLDSKOOLERnWV, W923, CAXPT and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Pretty sure the one Stwik posted is a bit heavier than 34k.

5. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    he loaded it with ramps. I’ve loaded a 317 on a deck and was relatively -okay with it. I definitely would’ve preferred an RGN though.

I believe this feller had a 225 doosan. All the weight is sitting on his rub rail. @Oxbow

It’s not the weight that bothers me, it’s where it’s sitting.

PPDCT, OLDSKOOLERnWV, CAXPT and 3 others Thank this.
  6. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Triaxle trailer sure looks maxed out.

This size on a stepdeck. Not a bad ride. My limit is when the tracks are over the rub rail. Then I know the weight is going to challenge
    my trailer. I'm talking about excavators. I don't want my trailer to crack in transit.

PPDCT, CAXPT, Oxbow and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    So fully dressed it ought to be 25 metric tons. As is it must be 45ish at least.

Look at the rails, they are inside the rub rail, and well over half the pads on the deck, so there is no concentration on the rub rails. I don't know squat about drop decks, but I don't think they are designed to carry all the weight on the outside 20% of the deck.

The biggest tell is reverse camber in the deck. It doesn't look to me like that trailer will last long with a steady diet of that size excavator.

PPDCT, Ruthless, Nostalgic and 7 others Thank this.
  8. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    It doesn’t take much to make a relatively flat trailer go negative. That load would definitely be better on a rgn. A0241C9D-4EB6-40BE-B863-7C2BA23DB64A.jpeg

PPDCT, cke, OLDSKOOLERnWV and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    True, but with the track frame of an excavator, once you go negative most all of the weight is now on the front and rear roller on each side, so 12k on four spots the width of one track pad.

The little 140 in your photo is no big deal, but the 225 in Stwik's photo is a bunch heavier.

PPDCT, Nostalgic, cke and 5 others Thank this.
  10. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I rarely haul for hire so it matters not to me, but companies that invest big bucks for the right equipment must hate to see it. I guess in this environment everybody is trying to survive though, and it's a calculated risk. If the trailer fails I suppose it is not likely to go all at once, so hopefully little risk to life and limb.

PPDCT, cke, OLDSKOOLERnWV and 3 others Thank this.
  11. W923

W923 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2022
    I’ll stick with my rgn.
    I have seen that load in person on step decks before and I prefer to put as much distance between us as I can.
    The trailer might be rated for that load but not all the way at the edges like was pointed out.
    Thinking about a few of my loads over the years that made panic stops or sudden maneuvers to avoid an accident and how it took a pipe on the handle of the ratchet binder to undo it, I don’t feel like the tie down points are adequate despite how they might be rated…. I have rewelded many rub rails and pockets. And unlike steel once aluminum starts to go it usually goes all the way.

PPDCT, Nostalgic, cke and 7 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.