Something that has always bothered me about reefer trailers

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by TruckRunner, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I normally fuel my reefer at the start of my day if it is below 3/4 tank, or if I am due to deliver that day.

I either PTI then fuel reefer, or the other way around, depending on how busy the fuel islands are. Since I normally start my day between 0200 and 0400, the pumps are rarely crowded.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    There's a ton of motors that way brother..., doesn't hurt them a bit.
    Pretty much every Honda in existence had their filter sideways, most Kubota tractor and John Deere with Yanmar diesels.
    Many have a anti drainback valve that once it's filled it stays full until next service time.

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  4. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    If they put the filler too close to the truck you'd have more opportunity for drivers to use off road diesel in their tractors. They'd just select "Reefer" from the fuel menu and fuel both the truck and reefer from one spot. I mean, they still do it, I have seen guys select "reefer" and top off their truck then put the fuel hose down on the ground then pull forward and top off the reefer.... Kinda hard to explain buying 140 gallons of reefer fuel when your reefer only holds 50 gallons though.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  5. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    With IFTA does it really make any difference? Just asking?

6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    What do we need refers for anyway? Mankind thrived nicely for a long, long time without them.

7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Only if you flat out cheat.

8. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    A common ifta cheat is to select truck fuel then fill truck and reefer, not switching it to reefer fuel.
    Reefer fuel has 0 bearing + or - on ifta. You can burn red fuel in reefer if you want. Considering red fuel is uncommon, people just buy regular taxed fuel and take the hit of whatever that states ifta rate is and it doesn't count towards credit, it's just spent money. So if you claim your truck burned it for the credit gallons....the calculation won't be correct.
    I haven't gone and figured out how one might make it work to their benefit. I don't really care. I have heard in an ifta audit, if the auditor knows you haul reefers, he wants to see at least some fuel here and there for the reefer to make sure you aren't cheating the system.

9. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    Why would they care? Fuel tax is paid with every gallon.

The advantage of separating your reefer fuel is a refund of those taxes.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Can you show me where you claim your reefer fuel ifta tax paid as credits and get a refund? I have yet to find that box.

11. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    Don't do it anymore but I know at our grocery DC's they get huge rebates for all the reefer fuel pumped. We have to pay as if it is all road fuel when it is delivered then they file for the rebate.

The Federal form is here

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-access/f4136_accessible.pdf

States are available as well. We also get a break out for our APU usage.

Tennesseans can follow these pages
    Exemptions/Refunds

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.