Spare keys...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by The Railsplitter, Jan 26, 2023.

1. The Railsplitter

The Railsplitter Medium Load Member

Jan 23, 2023
    "BFE... and lovin' it!"
    Yes, Kylefitzy, that's an excellent point: always replace your hidden key right away, so you don't find yourself in a jam when the evil-spirited tractor locks you out again, lol. Some trucks will do that, like they're haunted or something... :eek:

Long FLD, your reply reminds me of a time when I had just climbed into a truck and hadn't even cut spare keys yet... goldurned door locked itself on the fuel island when I shut it too hard, and of course the key was still in the ignition, though I had cut the motor. Luckily, a slider window in my sleeper was open, and I offered some skinny hand who worked at the Willcox T/A a quick sawbuck if he'd climb through it, with me boosting him up high enough to access the window, 10-4? I wasn't fat or anything, but at roughly 6' and 190 lbs., climbing through that little slider window would've been difficult, and the guy was right there on the fuel island (emptying trash cans or whatever). So it worked out well enough, and the guy earned some fast beer money for later, lol... truth be told, I would've given him $20, but the sawbuck was the first bill I saw in my wallet. ;)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    D.Tibbitt and kylefitzy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    One Truck I drove from NC to upper NY state, I locked self out with engine running (because it was WINTER). Driver Door Lock was compromised by others prior to I and I was told b4 leaving Terminal Yard that ANY KEY of similar design will work. An employee of the company I was at opened the door with a '57 Chevy Truck Key.

There was another Truck at another company I locked self out of at a Pilot or Petro near the Cash Road in Sin City, (cincinati) Ohio. Shop called local Bear who Slim Jimmied the Door. That Officer, I think, was dedicated to that area cause he was quickly there.

When I drove a couple LONG TERM trucks I had a couple keys Outside Tractor.

Yep, COVERIN' YER ARSE is not just Paperwork, it also involves access to Yer Vehicle(s)!!

The only thing that beats locking self out of Vehicles is Forgetting Where One Parked Vehicle.

The Railsplitter and tscottme Thank this.
  4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Put a key on a necklace or string around your neck or in your shoe, for those 3% of drivers that wear shoes. The other 97% can hide a key in their man-bun or on their flip-flops.

mpow66m, The Railsplitter and Numb Thank this.
  5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Before replacing the door handles they would hang up and lock themselves sometimes. Mine has no lock button, you just push in on the handle instead. A stupid system. I would always keep the wing window unlocked so I could push it open and reach the door. One time I didn't and it locked on me. Took about 30 minutes fighting with pliers trying to twist the wing window lock open from the outside. I was just about ready to bust out the passenger side wing window

The Railsplitter and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Depends on the manufacturer, from personal exp., the MACK key blanks sold at ACE Hardware, will not cut correctly and work on many newer MACK trucks, both the door and the ignition, found this out the hard way.

And some of the newer chip keys, what ACE, HD, Lowe's etc., sell, again may not work.

Some of the keys sold by the manufacturer are a different thickness than those sold aftermarket, and that thickness can make a huge difference.

Numb and The Railsplitter Thank this.
  7. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    After twice in the span of 2 months locking myself out of a previous Mack, both at very inconvenient times, I always carry two keys, the key that stays in my pocket has my company fuel key on it as well as a return address key fob, so I never put it in the ignition. The key in the ignition has a return address key fob. These new KW's each came with 5 keys from the factory, I have a third key tied up under the hood as well.

The Railsplitter and tarmadilo Thank this.
  8. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I just keep my spare key in my left jeans pocket.
    If I am wearing my pants when I get out of the truck (which would be always) then I always have a key.
    Simple.

9. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Yeah, my spare key is in my pants pocket, along with my wallet (with my CDL), a buck in change, and my emergency guitar pick.

The Railsplitter Thanks this.
  10. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I has a dedicated key for the ignition... That is to small to work for the doors... So it stays in the ignition on its own key ring... The original key goes with me at all times... I have a rule anytime i get out of the truck. i either have the window down or keys in my pocket .. Its a habit i picked up on the first car i drove that liked to lock the doors at random times. Always when u get out for some reason.. Learned the hard way many times... Evrr since i adopted that rule, never locked myself out but had to reach inside the open window many many times lol

The Railsplitter and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    If Im going to be driving the tractor for a while I hide a momentary switch, usually thru the floor board behind the kick panel trim. Quick touch of a butoon and magicly its unlocked.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.