Starting out?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by NoRearviews, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    It's the trailer weight that will dictate a CDL with a combination set up. 26k is for box vans.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    26k is for box vans. Huh? What does that even mean? Since when does type of trailer have anything to do wether or not you need a cdl?

4. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    You seem to have a handle on things. I'll let you figure out how a CDL is determined.

5. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Personal freedoms? Like what freedoms are you talking about? If you’re hauling for hire you have no choice but to comply with state and federal regulations. You’ll have to set up for random drug testing, take a pre hire drug test (before you start working), and abide by HOS (Hours of Service) and many other state and federal regulations. The only thing you really get out of by running under 26,001 lbs is doing IFTA and IRP.

If you’re serious about getting set up to legally haul for hire, and picking the right equipment to do it. Feel free to PM me.

6. Miroh

Miroh Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2018
    I wouldn't pay that reply much heed.

7. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio

8. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    You will have to get a truck and trailer combination that allows you to be under 26,000 lbs. Most of the newer trucks have a GVWR to high to allow you to do this with a 14,000 GVWR Trailer which is what is used while staying at this weight. You would need a older 5.9 Cummins or a 7.3 or 6.4 powerstroke. Now hauling cars would be a different story IMO I only know of one guy on this forum that is able to do this. Now I have note seen him post in a while so don’t know if he is still doing this. To stay under 26 you have to have light weight freight that needs to be expedited in order it to make it worth while.

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  9. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California

We’ve were running a Owner op set up under 26k for a little bit here. The under cdl set up came to us as a father and son package deal, father ran under 26k and the son had a cdl. He was actually doing very well.he had a new ram 3500 dually, and pulled a two axle 32’ Lowboy that was derated from the manufacturer. It was harder finding the right pieces of freight for it but the money he was earning, I thought it was wry decent. The loads we were getting him were paying $2.00 to just over $3.00 per mile.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.