Steel Hauling pay for O/O

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by RERM, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Besl_Burt

Besl_Burt Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2014
    That's the driver's pay. The FSC varies based upon where the load is coming from. This week I am seeing loads with a percentage based pay ranging from 26% to 56% of line haul, as well as PMB from $0.26 to $0.64. They also have some based off of the 100lb. Again it varies upon the customer and the load.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
  4. Besl_Burt

Besl_Burt Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Per mile basis, sorry. I shouldn't use acronyms..

5. Besl_Burt

Besl_Burt Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2014
    If you are wanting to run a flatbed. you seriously need to look at a rate higher than $2 per mile. You have to keep in mind you are going to have to pay fuel tax, mileage taxes in some states ie. KY, NY, AZ, NM you also have to pay for your insurance (liability, bobtail etc) truck payment, your fuel surcharge isn't ever going to cover the full cost of fuel, (I don't care what anybody tries to sell ya, it WON'T) Maint, tire cost, Health insurance, you have to have it now and as an O/O the cost goes up since the most companies only offer minimal help if any. DH cost, you're going to run into DH even if its just to get the truck to the shop to get fixed. You need to look at the rate per loaded mile then add in the cost for all your DH average that out if your not averaging at least $2 per mile on the week you are loosing money. You also have to look at what its going to cost to get your tags each year, what states you want to run. All this changes the game a little bit.
    Now you have to ask are you going to lease a truck or buy a truck. if you're going to lease most of the companies out there still pay on a Per mile basis until your lease is paid off. Its not going to be the money you want to make period.
    Are you going to buy a truck out right. if so who is going to lend you the money. what kind of interest rate are you looking at.
    Are you going to buy rent or lease a trailer?
    What about tarps, side kit, curtain side etc
    How bout your equipment, chains, binders, straps, coil racks etc.
    All of this HAS to be counted into your cost per mile. Then you can really start to say _____ this is what its going to cost to run this truck. But you are not going to run that truck at $1.50 a mile as an average.
    Not try to hurt your feelings, I just don't want you to go under and say "If I had only known"......

6. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Feelings not hurt, I am doing the numbers and that 1.50 takes into account all of the above EXCEPT, cost of securement equipment, headache rack and tarps......I'd be buying (no LP) and leasing on to a carrier (these costs have been included in calculation, along with my salary), NEVER SAID I PLAN TO HAUL 1.50 loads.....only said these are my PROJECTED. COSTS. ........Btw these calculations are NOT FINAL...........

Seriously guys, am I not being clear in my writing?????

7. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    Don't sweat it RERM. Everyone of these discussions turns into a competition on who can prove who is doing it wrong.

Besl_Burt and RERM Thank this.
  8. Besl_Burt

Besl_Burt Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Can you put up a breakdown of what you think your cost are going to be. Break it all down. How much do you think it will cost for each item, Total, per month, per week, and per mile. The more we know on what type of equipment and actual cost you are looking at the better the advice can be.
    Speaking from experience even with a $20k truck my break even cost was still at $1.80 per mile. Just for truck related items. No personal cost included.

9. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, but not soon as I'm on my phone....slow connection and hopefully getting loaded and driving rest of day....lol...

Besl_Burt Thanks this.
  10. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I must be crazy to still want to do this!!!!

11. Besl_Burt

Besl_Burt Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2014
    No, its not crazy its a great business. It would just help if more experience guys would reach out to the new ones and help mentor them, show them the ins and outs. You'll get there just takes time

RERM Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.