super singles...

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by SFB, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    How do you get 290,000 miles on a set of tires. Light loads ???

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I got over 400,000 on my last set of drives... four new XDA-HT's and four XDA-HT Michelin retreads...

4. Outlaw 13

Outlaw 13 Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2010
    any highway , USA
    I worked for a company for 5.5 years that ran all super singles , never again ! They are the most dangerous tire on the road , espcially in the winter ! No control in the slightest snow ! And on ice , forget it ! When you have a flat you sit right where it happened ! As far as I am concerned they should be takin' off the road !

5. PaulE

PaulE Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Verona Wi
    Nevermind.... I forgot I posted my exp with these earlier in thread

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  6. Frenzy

Frenzy Medium Load Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I've gotten over 330K on my mich x-one ht's. The lowest is at 6/32. I am waiting on a factory order for x-one energy's to come in so I can change them out right before winter. The only winter driving problem that I have had with the tires have is that chains seem to break easily on them.

7. SuperLiner

SuperLiner Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Good Ol' Arizona
    One of the skateboards that I pull is a spread axle. My guess as to why Duals front and S/Singles rear would be the EXTREME wear issues on spread axle skateboards that routinely get drug around town "like ours does" It just drags the crap out of the tires on the front axle when manuvering, Given the cost of S/Singles I'm not sure I'd want to drag them around. That's just my guess though.. :biggrin_25511:

8. walstib

walstib Darkstar

In my very short time using them, I like them and have avg'd 8.1mpg...

And if one goes flat, why wouldn't the other one hold you up and allow you to drive to nearest repair facility?...

I find conflicting info, and of course it's nothing more than the hearsay we see here:

I was talking to some wrench turners at a Petro and mentioned that my biggest fear with super singles was having a flat and being stuck out on the road, and he told me that the side walls are thick enough to actually run on a flat for a long way, albeit very slowly. He said that the week before we were talking he convinced a driver of a fully loaded tanker (non HAZMAT, thank God) to drive 60 miles down I-40 with a flat trailer super single and the driver made it to the Petro in Oklahoma City with no problems (although he did have to drive 45 mph the whole way).

9. jakeharveyhome

jakeharveyhome Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2011
    ABOSOLUTLY NOT NO WAY NO HOW CANT HAPPEN DO NOT DO IT DONT EVEN EVER TRY!!!! Just sayin lol!! I run wide based tires and what the "wrench turner" at the Petro has informed you is bullpoop they lie as much as truck drivers lol!! The side wall is tough but even at five miles an hour within ten miles the rim would have been toast, no more than toast, it would have literaly caught the remaining rubber on the rim on fire. Seriously I'm not kidding you we have a tank division and this was tried by a driver and the results were disasterous!! Band new stainless water tanker a total loss!! I had a blow out on a trailer on the NJTP I was in the middle lane and by the time i was able to get the truck to a stop in the breakdown lane, maybe a mile and a half or so the rim was a total loss and the rubber was smokin!! Also if you are green behind the wheel and loud noises scare you try not to slam on the breaks when one blows the axle with the least resistance will lock up its simple physics, guess which axle has the least resistance when you blow a tire with supers on?? The axle will lock and literally drive the rim of the blown tire into the tar, I have also seen this happen. I love the tires and think they are great in water and snow but when you have a blow out you are down there is absolutly no limping it anywhere or you will be sorry...

10. truckbiz

truckbiz Light Load Member

Yea, I'll second that! If you blow one at highway speed you'll be lucky to get it to the side before you wreck the wheel. about 1 in 3 road service calls need a rim and tire. The company I am leased to runs them on dumps, dry tanks, and flatbeds, and on all the tractors, and these guys keep records on everything, detailed records, and the owner told me he has cut his tire costs in half! Told me he could not believe it either, but the numbers don't lie.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.