Swift has driver arrested.

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Owner's Operator, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Wow
    Just curious would you explain your random check
    We have had this discussion before but
    Interrupting your 10 shouldn't be allowed

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    How did we get to the point where someone can be charged and convicted of "presumed intent"? Taken to the next [logical] level, just being in possession of keys to a motor vehicle should be enough to convict.

Agreed ... I'm all ears too. Going to my comment above, if a driver is on a rest period then the presumption should be that s/he wil not be doing any driving; rather than the opposite which is what currently happens.

4. oldcornbinder

oldcornbinder Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Eastern Oregon
    Being in the truck with any kind of alcohol in his system should not and is not allowed no matter what! :biggrin_25512:
    The first thing to go while under the influence is judgment, and laying 3 feet from the controls in that conditions is down right scary and too big of a temptation.

5. Beans

Beans Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Temple, GA
    He knew the rules. NO drinking in his truck. If he had wanted to drink, he should either be in his house or a motel room. Good for Swift. ZERO TOLERANCE

6. cplmac2

cplmac2 Heavy Load Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Watford City, ND
    My guess is the cop saw him leave wherever he was drinking and followed him to his truck. Your truck is not a car, it is a home. Personally I don't think the cop should have even knocked on his window unless he saw the truck start, and even then it should have only been to make sure he wasn't planning on driving. The DUI laws in this country have gone so far over board that even this unreasonable action is now viewed as "acceptable" which could not be further from the truth. Maybe if he was piloting an oil tanker or an airline I could see this result.....

7. lostNfound

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    According to, and for, whom?

8. oldcornbinder

Nov 10, 2008
    Eastern Oregon
    Every bit of research in the use and effect of alcohol... no one can refute that with any expectation of success, If you don't know this to be a fact I'd suggest you go back to grade school where it is first presented to students.:biggrin_2554:

9. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    It's probably been re-defined, again.
    By the courts, again.
    I'm thinkin' that'd depend on witch of the numerous
    cops-&-robbers shows on TV we watch.
    Sometimes they get a conviction.

Who knows what a LEO is
    presuming?

I don't know where y'all were when parked, a designated area, or an on/off ramp, or another un-designated area, .... which can draw attention.
    And who's attention it draws.

Here's what I do know -----

SOMEtimes, parkin' in certain areas is frowned upon by LEO's for a myriad reasons.
    We need only be aware of their frown.

If we miss that, and park in those areas, sumthin's gonna give.
    Often citations given.

According to the LEO I spoke with, in their industry, they call it a
    RousT.
    And the word spreads over the CB like wild-fire
    in the wind.
    Solving a permanently present situation, at least ---
    Temporarily.

That same LEO also told me that, during "rousts", ---
    What THEY do, and how the DO it, depends a LOT on
    ATTITUDES.
    Imagine that.
    Human Nature.

Me personally?
    I don't mess with Mother OR Human Nature. :biggrin_25512: :biggrin_25525:

ThunderBolts & Lightning
    Very, Very Frightening ME!
    (~~~ Freddy Mercury -- Queen.)

10. lostNfound

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    Well, perhaps you don't have any control when consuming alcohol, but that does not necessarily apply to the rest of us.

Baack Thanks this.
  11. oldcornbinder

Nov 10, 2008
    Eastern Oregon

It's not You, and It's not me, it's how the human animal is affected by the consumption of alcohol, we are all the same. The only variable in it is the amount of alcohol based on size of their bodies, not brains, which will slow down the affect but not eliminate it. :yes2557:

Which brings us back to the fact that a truck cab is no place to have, consume, or be under influence of alcohol or drugs period any time, not just because it's the law and you agreed to it when you got your cdl but because it's wrong!:biggrin_25512:

Most states have the same laws for duii, dui, dwi, or what ever that states calls it. If you are in the vehicle with the keys and are under the influence of alcohol or drugs, even if your are parked and asleep, you will be charged with that crime and more than likely get convicted of it. The reason for the police contact can be anything from a suspicious vehicle or welfare check, either way you get the same results. :biggrin_2551:

So why now should it be different for Trucker?:biggrin_2554:

AfterShock Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.