Thick smoke

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by woodtoyz, Dec 16, 2010.

1. milskired

milskired Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    They do have emissions standards now as far as I know but yes they do role coal

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CallMeArty

CallMeArty HaMMeRED DoWN

Apr 6, 2010
    TEXAS
    Yuk.. Looks like the two nine.....

4. milskired

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
  5. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Northern California
  6. woodtoyz

woodtoyz Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    Wow thats cool! Its amazing how the exhaust can get that hot and not deform.

7. nitrogen

nitrogen Medium Load Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Calgary Alberta
    yeah they all get that hot when you are pulling hard on a hill. we run stationary c-16 18's they run about 955 load at full rpm the manifold glows cherry the whole time. sometime for 3 days nonstop

8. bcd

bcd Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2011
    edgewater fl
    TO MUCH FUEL GOING TO THE ENGINE WASTE OF MONEY ( dot loves them also epa)

9. nekom

nekom Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2010
    I notice a lot of dump trucks especially around here seem to not smoke at all, but emit a big puff when they are shifting. I'd guess it's because they let off the throttle and unburned fuel builds up perhaps.

10. milskired

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    Nope its the turbo lag. Once the turbo spools it clears up the smoke because the motor is getting the air needed.

11. bleach driver

bleach driver Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2011
    all over midwest
    the black smoke is carbon from fuel not completely oxidized in the burning process , since turbos came around the smoke ( actullly soot) has disa peared . o the older mack trucks with small turbos they would smoke like a freight train on coal if you turned them up but the torque levels would increase too , but also it would wear the motor out too from fuel/oil dillution and carbon in the cylinders as that stuff is harder than sand , my petes run cats , I had a old mechanical cat( 1980's 425 series ) when in tune would burp on the shift when the manifold pressure was low but as soon as the turbo would spool it would clear up , also when it was off turbo the manifold and pipe would turn red , and after a days driving its not uncommon for a manifold to be red hot . my petes ( 2005 c-15) with the computer motor cuts the fuel back and also times it different so it has a light puff of carbon when the pressure drops . the last cat I owned c-13 with the post engine DPF . no smoke at all , and also with the new LSD fuel alot of the smoke has disapeared from the sulpher being burned

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.