Thinking about quitting...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by stephenbmx1, May 20, 2018.

1. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Oh yeah brother. Everything i do is calculated out here, multiple plans are created. Night running makes trip planning easy

shogun and TravR1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    My run was from central Mississippi today up to Newbern. Had to hit 51 out of Memphis thru Millington, Covington, Ripley, Halls etc. If you don’t leave by 230 am, you will worry about red light cameras and school traffic. So the alarm goes off at 1 am, and I get ready and head out. 600 miles on not enough sleep. Sometimes being home daily ain’t all it’s cracked up to be.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  4. Slim51

Slim51 Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Maine
    I have A LOT of self employed people in my family... ever since I was a kid my dad taught me to think of myself as my own company. You work for you. If something isn’t working, find a way to make it work or stop doing it. With that mentality comes the necessity of foresight also. Sounds like you already know you’re going to quit, so why not focus on what you’re going to do next and how you’re going to make it happen. That might mean staying there for awhile, or not...

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I can agree with your sentiment about being home daily. I actually prefer OTR. I felt more tired when I was working for 7up/Snapple as a driver, but the work was a lot more physical, much like flatbed. I don't even recall feeling tired when I pulled flatbed. I guess because I could secure and tarp at my own pace. Route deliveries are high octane

Farmerbob1 and shogun Thank this.
  6. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    Let me start with the bad news... any of those linehaul ltl home daily jobs will be overnight for several years before you have enough time in to get the preferential loads. When they say home daily, they mean daily, because you’ll be working nights and sleeping days. If you want to work days switch to flatbed. Delivery and pickup is always during normal business hours and almost never any weekends. Don’t do local or you will be tarping and securing loads literally all day long.

And when you aren’t driving, take your ### to sleep.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  7. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Local lumber maxi hauls. Mill to mill sun up to sun down. What a dirty stinking long hours low pay job. At least the loggers & chip trucks were almost better. I'm an idiot.

8. Osiris

Osiris Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Philly
    Seems like there is a tradeoff with almost every trucking job. Figuring out what you can live with and what you won't do without is big when you are new.

You're body needs more then a week to adjust to the nite grind. Try switching runs before switching companys.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  9. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Home daily is different for everyone but it’s not as awesome as people think. Right now it’s 230 am. I have about 550 miles (estimate) and 4 spread out stops to run, several with only one door to unload on so hope no one is there when I get there. Then race to daycare to get my kids so they can come home and fight over toys, get to bed just to get up and do it again. But hey, I am home daily.

bryan21384 and RedRover Thank this.
  10. Osiris

Osiris Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Philly
    Right now I'm local at a crapola company with with terrible equipment but I do about 8 hr days, off weekends.

Pay isn't great either but I am home more then I am in the truck. Like I said trade offs!

bryan21384 and driverdriver Thank this.
  11. stephenbmx1

stephenbmx1 Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2017
    Thanks for all the replies guys!
    I'll try it for a few more weeks and if it don't work out I'll look into switching over to a dedicated home daily account for cosco schneider has. I think its day shift... In the mean time I'm going to start working on getting my endorsements so when I get more experience I can have more/better opportunities.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.