Third lane violations

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by expedite_it, Jan 16, 2022.

1. idriveaholden

idriveaholden Super Heavy Hauler

Mar 14, 2018
    lol idk

kylefitzy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Maybe put your glasses on?
    Actually read it.

SHRUG

Anyways. We're done here

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Maybe learn to answer a question or don't post. Linking to the sos's main site doesn't answer the question asked. But as you can't even figure this much out....

5. MOBee

MOBee Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Because I like my money in my pocket, I assume every state has a third lane law until proven differently. Kinda like turning right on a red, no sign no go.

alds, Trucker61016 and gentleroger Thank this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    really?

it is on the msp site, the Michigan trucking site and in the Michigan legislature records. Should be a cdl test question here.

just messing with you.

I was mistaken about the gvw but in other parts of the MVC a “truck” is define as any commercial vehicle over 8800lbs. Here it is defined as 10,001 gross. This covers a lot of vehicles, like these tire service trucks which are f350 with a heavy service box on the back.

MVC Act of 1949 257.634 (3) This section must not be construed to prohibit a vehicle traveling in the appropriate direction from traveling in any lane of a freeway having 3 or more lanes for travel in the same direction. However, a city, village, township, or county may not enact an ordinance that regulates the same subject matter as any provision of this subsection. The driver of a truck with a gross weight of more than 10,000 pounds, a truck tractor, or a combination of a vehicle and trailer or semitrailer shall drive the vehicle or combination of vehicles only in either of the 2 lanes farthest to the right, except for a reasonable distance when making a left turn or where a special hazard exists that requires the use of an alternative lane for safety reasons.

Msp tells me a reasonable distance is a mile to two miles, not four miles out. When you travel down here and you will see the signs “Trucks right two lanes only” coming on to and off of m14, us23, but not really where they are needed like 96, 75 and 94.

about the rv question, nope that’s considered a personal vehicle.

ZVar Thanks this.
  7. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    To my knowledge the third lane is unrestricted for trucks unless posted as restricted.
    It’s same idea as right on red.
    Every intersection is right on red unless it is posted “no right on red”
    I use the third lane all the time when it is “unrestricted” and I have never received a ticket for doing so.
    I do see quite regularly when a truck will ride upon the tail of another truck in the center lane when all he has to do is pass in the unrestricted third lane.

8. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    In Tennessee when the highways open up, they forbid trucks from the far left hammer lane. @expedite_it be careful getting in that left lane. If you get behind slow trucks, that's just something you'll have to learn to deal with. Be patient. Here's why I say that: my trainer had told me when I got started, that traveling in that lane will make a truck this big target. A DOT officer will think you're speeding or driving recklessly because you're in that lane, even if you're not. Majority of places forbid trucks from using the farthest left lane. Even if it isn't forbidden, they still may pull you over for driving too fast because there really isn't any other reason to be in that lane. Use the right 2 lanes to keep it safe. In my opinion, a lane restriction ticket is the worst one to get because it's inexcusable. That's automatically going to be points on your license and you might be able to get that reduced.

9. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Or he could just back off the rear end of that truck. That's just stupid driving a the way around

alds, MOBee and Hulld Thank this.
  10. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    Indiana you’re not allowed in the left lane if there are more than two lanes. Not everywhere has a sign, but it is the law.
    PS what good would a sign do? Truck drivers don’t read them. When was the last time you were in a construction zone with a truck lane restriction, and many followed? I rest my case.

ncmickey, MOBee and gentleroger Thank this.
  11. Plsdontflip

Plsdontflip Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2021
    My trainer couple years ago said we are never allowed in leftmost lane. I never questioned it and never needed to get in that lane honestly. I'm a slow poke lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.