This is why you always tug test with pictures.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scott180, Jul 7, 2022.

1. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    20220707_111541.jpg
    This was likely caused by not properly engaging the kingpin to the fithwheel. This could of been avoided by a simple tug test.

How to preform a tug test.
    After hooking up gently try to pull forward.If you can't then you're likely properly connected. Notice I said likely. Other things could of still gone wrong. Still look to see the fithwheel is flat against the bottom of the trailer and if possible visually check that the kingpin is engaged.

I have high centered the kingpin where everything feels connected but the fithwheel isn't flat. If I hadn't visually checked it I would of lost my trailer at some point while driving.

I have dropped a trailer. But just to my frame rails and luckily not to the ground. Everything looked and felt fine and the first tug test worked so I hooked up and started to roll forward when I did my double check and lightly applied the trailer break. Boom trailer right on my frame. All I had to do was crank the trailer back up and properly connect. The fithwheel jaws were closed so I think they closed as I was getting under the trailer so everything looked and felt fine. If I didn't do the leaving tug test the trailer would have been on the ground and I would be in the bosses office explaining how it happened.

Nobody is perfect. Accidents do happen. But it's the saftey steps that you do that keeps a close call from becoming a reportable incident
    20220707_113649.jpg

I also tug test anytime I'm away from the truck or after sleeping. Some jokers think it's funny to unlock your fithwheel. As I pull forward I lightly use the trailer break to just make sure everything is ok.

Update
    20220707_130755.jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    Must of been HEAVY to fold the Gear!
    - - - - - -
    Tug Tests EVERY TIME I returned to my Combo, even when I was the ONLY combo on a multiple Dock site, and ESPECIALLY when not on a Dock, like at any "Twuck Slop".
    Clowns are everywhere and they too drive Big Rigs.
    - - - - - -
    I, once (or probably more times), Jumped the Fifth, Did A Tug, Got out and surmised it was connected to EMPTY trailer, hooked lines, took off slowly, did a 90 left and BAM, yet neither air line or electric line torn.
    Landing Gear was fine, not EVER like that Picture.
    Some Times we overlook and LEARN!!
    CHEERS!!

4. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Looks like that trailer was dragged out of the spot with dolly full down causing it to be buckled back. More then just lack of tug test.

5. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Legs are extended, it was drug out and buckled

6. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Yard dog dropped it.

7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    It takes 2 seconds to crawl underneath and do a visual check

8. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    I tug test EVERY SINGLE DAY in my office after work.

9. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    You'll go blind and develop tennis elbow doing that.

10. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    The carpal tunnel has made it difficult, for sure. May require Tommy John surgery in the long run. We'll see.

11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I’d rather see with my eyes that the jaws are fully locked, too.

12. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Maybe he high hooked it. Still should of gotten a visual though. To guard against someone pulling my pin, I set the trailer brakes then pull slightly with the tractor then set those brakes. The tension left pulling in opposite directions will make sure nobody can pull that lever.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.