Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Upright, Nov 27, 2015.

1. miss elvee

miss elvee Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Russellville, AR
    Carry zip ties and twine.

In the winter, sometimes your wipers will freeze up and break the knuckle that attaches them to the wiper arm. Use a zip tie as a temp fix until you can get a spare. (Won't last forever if it's really cold)

I really cold winter conditions, sometimes your airlines will be too cold to stay hooked to the glad hand. Zip ties will freeze and break. Use twine (or wire) to tie them together so you don't lose air or lose the connection altogether when you make a turn.

White_Knuckle_Newbie and Upright Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Highway Sailor

Highway Sailor Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    I was hoping he was just making a joke about it. However, I parked at a J one time when I did a walk around before leaving I discovered a driver must of needed my red corner marker light from my trailer more than me. Some people.

mitrucker, Vilhiem and Upright Thank this.
  4. miss elvee

miss elvee Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Russellville, AR
    I lost mudflaps at that J.

Upright Thanks this.
  5. Upright

Upright Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2012
    California's Best City
    Next time I see someone struggling to crank landing gears, I will be sure to video them and show them the value of training the few thousand dollars has gotten them. Not all schools teach that.

6. Upright

Jul 13, 2012
    California's Best City
    I picked up a loaded trailer once missing the entire brake lights. The seal thief hick must have been there.

7. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I carry a 3 ft. 2x4 and jamb it under the drive tire to get the truck moving on a slippery surface.

kiwi23 Thanks this.
  8. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL

Also comes in handy when you need to hook up to a tank trailer, and it has those old school landing gear legs with the pins, and the last guy left it up too high for your truck.

White_Knuckle_Newbie Thanks this.
  9. kidsdad

kidsdad Medium Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    central illinois
    carry replacements for all lights, I got pulled over one night in IN. for a license plate light and when the trooper informed me of it, I told him I had replacement and thanked him for informing me. he stayed behind me so I could see with his lights, checked my logs and sent me on my way after informing me that with no replacement I would have got points. Glad hand seals, fuel filters, rock salt in the winter, zip ties, oil, coolant, power steering fluid, bearing oil, tools, the list can go on and on.

10. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    ^^^This^^^^
    I have a tool bag (separate from my actual tool box of tools) with nothing but extra stuff. From gladhand seals (in case Hick steals mine...lol) to the rubber plugs on hub seals, mechanics wire, zipties, about 25'-30' of 550# paracord, Gorilla tape (puts regular duct tape to shame), all different sizes and lengths nuts/bolts/washers/lock washers, every size and amp fuses (actually a whole box of electrical stuff- connectors, splices, toggles switches, crimp tool, etc.), spares for ALL lights (tractor & trailer)super glue, loctite......Like you said, the list is endless. And that's not even mentioning spare fluids....lol

11. Upright

Jul 13, 2012
    California's Best City
    Tip: At pfj's, If all you need is a fuel receipt, save time use the kiosk. Again, many dont know this. Ill stand in line if there s a hottie working the register.

Getsinyourblood Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.