Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Upright, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Highway Sailor

Highway Sailor Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Erie,Pa.
    Ya the same goes with the petes. However, they have some electrical issues with the 14 579. I was told by one driver the doors would lock and unlock while driving down the road. An our road repair has sent out several messages about the issue of doors locking .

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I managed to lock my self out of a 379 one time. Not sure how because the key was in the ignition. Its a good thing the wing window latch was broken because my phone was in the bunk.

4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    For working at night my tools include a headlamp, a few of those small flashlights with the glow ends, and a 2200 lumen spotlight. The headlamp is essential to keep both hands free for working. There's nothing as pitiful as watching a trucker's drool freezing as he's holding a flashlight in his mouth while chaining up.

The cheap flashlights with the glowing ends are used to mark objects I want to miss while backing. I have three and there's times I wish I had more.

The spotlight with enough power to sear your retinas to the back of your skull is handy for lighting up road signs or having a peak down that dark road before committing yourself to a bad situation. If both headlights go out, it can be your headlight in an emergency, as happened to me on a dirt "river" in a flash flood getting out of an oil rig.

5. tweeter15

tweeter15 Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2015
    I'm in Wisconsin and work all over the state as well as Minnesota, Michigan, north Dakota and a big chunk of Canada. Of a winter time my metal handled tools (3 lbs hammer, strap bars, ect) I wrap the handles with hockey stick tape for a little extra between your hand and frozen metal, and helps with the grip,even if it gets covered in ice.
    I carry a small pail of kitty litter and rock salt also.

Lepton1 and scottlav46 Thank this.
  6. tweeter15

tweeter15 Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2015
    And I take old pieces of hose that will just fit over the ratchet binder bodies and glue them on there, helps with grip because it adds a little extra to it, and once again it's something between your gloved hand and frozen metal.

Lepton1 and scottlav46 Thank this.
  7. Nitemare13

Nitemare13 Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Hudson, Fl

Made a spare key on my 379, so I can idle when I shower in extreme cold or hot weather.

Getsinyourblood and Hegemeister Thank this.
  8. PowerBstrd

PowerBstrd Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2015
    A hammer and a few bottles of subzero washer fluid can save the headache of being stuck in a parking lot on account of ice.

9. Nitemare13

Feb 24, 2014
    Hudson, Fl
    Overweight and getting paid for it. Go AROUND the scales! lol

Getsinyourblood Thanks this.
  10. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Yea, earn now pay later. That's how that works.

11. Nitemare13

Feb 24, 2014
    Hudson, Fl
    These new trying drivers......

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.