Tire Changing

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Mmorales95, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    My biggest complaint about super singles is sometimes they are a bear to get the bead busted while still mounted to the truck.

I would much rather do any tire that I can still mounted to the truck vs pulling it off and doing it on the ground.

For axles without parking brakes, some fittings so you can apply the brakes, and one of those bead holders really makes tire work a pretty easy one man job once you know what you're doing.

PE_T Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    Another note, on the starting fluid, NOT going to argue with anyone so this is just food for thought.

Yes, it will set the bead.

But, once you set the bead and snuff the fire out, there's still unburnt either in your tire.

PE_T Thanks this.
  4. Big_D409

Big_D409 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Robertsdale, AL 36567

Ah! A true super single. Nope, but I would imagine they aren’t easy. My old man used to tell me stories of him trying to get beads to seat and watching things go “boom” more times than you’d think.

PE_T Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    A few months back, I went down to my indiana place. While driving there, there was an accident that happened a minutes before and traffic stopped. I saw a truck on the side of the road with debris all over the road and a car in the ditch. I understand from the Cb conversations the guy was trying to fix a flat on the side of the road, some idiot hit the truck even though the truck was far enough off the road. The truck driver wasn't hurt, but the other guy was messed up.

One reason why I pay for road service is this reason, I don't want to hear a driver being killed trying to do work that can be done faster with someone who just does that work.

6. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    I still hit em with the boom spray when needed but i have seen a tire that ruptured the sidewall and wacked my coworker from it.. Just food for thought. Can be dangerous.

2 quality truck spoons, a sledge and a woodblock will cover you for outers if you understand the dynamics of feeding the sidewall into the rim trough. Vicegrips for clamping the rim over a rag are handy when a tire doesnt wanna start walking on.

Need a core tool and a air chuck with a hose stub to put over the valve stem if you dont want to ether em, the valve core is too slow to seat by air alone with a chuck. Also a hand ratchet around the tread of the tire can help flare the sidewalls out for seating.

Ive never had a big tire not come off the bead once aired down. Drive it onto a wood block or curb it if needed, itll pop off.

feldsforever and PE_T Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.