Tire/Wheel Thread

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BJnobear, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    Well they've proven they hold up to extreme centrifugal force, high heat and abuse. That's just one of their applications to prove their durability.

If you don't like caps fine. But there are millions of trucks that have zero issues with them. If you have nothing but trouble out of them it's either your junk casings, junk tire shop or a bad driver or maintenance.

If I can put 120k on 5 axles in the middle of summer with no issues I can't see why they won't hold up to 80k gross. But there are those guys that can break an anvil with a rubber mallet.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Priceless! lol. If you want to get the most miles with the least amount of trouble from your tires kicking them with a size 11 pressure testing boot while drinking your coffee in the morning ain't gonna help you. Nor does hitting them with a mini baseball bat, use the right tools people!

4. farmermatt

farmermatt Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Lowry City, MO
    I put hankook AL07+ steers on mine a year ago and have held up very well so I ordered their DL07 drive tire. I will get them on friday theylook a lot like the bridgestone 726 and others but for a lot less $ I guess we'll see how they work
    $360 a piece installed (bought 8 )

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  5. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    Here's my take on tires. You can divide them basically into two categories.

Mileage Tires
    or
    Fuel Tires

Tires that get high miles generally aren't the same tires that are going to gain you fuel economy.

Tires that get better fuel economy will wear out much sooner than a high mileage tire.

For example: I was talking to a fellow trucker the other day He was PO'd at his new set of Michellin XDN2's. Said they lost him nearly a mpg in fuel economy. He got over 350K out of his last set. Michellins are infamous for getting crappy fuel economy when new, but as they wear down their mileage picks up.

I recently traded in my virgin Michellin XDN2's. The cases were from 06',:biggrin_2555:

Beyond that, you can also divide drive tires down into another two categories. Closed shoulder, and Open Shoulder. Closed shoulder are generally considered highway (fuel) tread. Where as the deeper lug open shoulder work better in adverse elements, but have more rolling resistance, and less fuel economy.

6. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I agree exactly as I have experienced. when I had my kelly kda lugs, I got 300,000 miles. I went to steer tread from steelmark paid $2000.00 for it all. dismount/mount, f.e.t. tax. whole 9 yards. great deal on price. the fuel m.p.g was much improved, but due to the thinner tire, I have to have a lot more flats fixed. things that would not penetrate the thick lugs, would penetrate the hiwy tread. the tires did not last as long as the lugs. so true, m.p.g. or longer life. I know it is better to have better m.p.g. the only problem is when you save for example... $40- 100 a month on fuel due to your tires, you really dont notice it, cause you spend it as you make it/ save it. where when it comes time to buy 8 tires you buy for $2800 or $2000. that $800 difference you can realize immediately. that was my choice back when I bought my last 8.

7. heavyhaulerss

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I am thinking of putting b.f. st244 on my drives. they work well as far as ride comfort on my steers. if any one knows of the best tires fuel related only for drives, give me your opinion. have a while left on my drives now. I know I can get cheap chinese hyway tread as I had before, but I also want comfort too. dont like the bouncing ya get with some tires.

8. end of the road

end of the road Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Northern Canada
    I had tires installed at a chain store in Winnipeg. Not wanting to names names but they have a stores popping up everywhere. The spring up like a Fountain. hint hint

After bobtailing to Dryden the back end was bouncing and hopping like crazy. Made for a very scary drive.

Got them checked by a friend of mine when he did the retorque and one side was all at 100 psi, the other side was a low of 110 psi, 2 at 120 psi and one over 150 psi. how much over we don't know.

Every tire guy does not know what he is doing. Find a good tire guy and he will make the crappiest of tires work better than the best tires installed by a moron.

Strider Thanks this.
  9. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    Only problem I see with those tires would be an icy road. If youre staying down south where you wont see much of that, I say; go for it.

I put a set of BF DR444 drives on my truck a couple weeks ago. $340 each installed. Those lugs are mighty deep LOL. The tread is a lot noisier than my old Michellins, but im getting used to it. They just howl a little bit is all...

10. heavyhaulerss

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    when I first had my kelly's put on, bobtailing would bounce my eye balls out of my head, now they ride a lot smoother. over 180,000 on them. seems it is always going to be a trade off. when I had my hwy tires on my drives, I got caught in the last winter storm in M.I. I had no problem with traction. though I was loaded all the way to & back. I see a lot of folks here trying the general tires. I lucked out & bought 4 new michelin xza3 for 200 a peice a while back. they are on my spread axle now.

11. BJnobear

BJnobear Heavy Load Member

Aug 24, 2010
    PCB, FL
    I assume they were never recapped.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.